Stressed and unmotivated

Sounds like you just need to get into the rhythm. IB is a lot of work, with little time to socialize --- especially if you don't keep on top of things. So just make sure you have a good routine, and consider this your main job (IB student) until the summer. You'll have a good long summer holiday to relax in - right? Work towards that. 

Expect your social life to take a back-seat during the term, unless you are super efficient. Most of us aren't  :D (at least, not in my case), so cheer up and don't think you're alone in any way. Plan things, set targets and goals, and ... give yourself lots of power-breaks - and don't let things slide. ;)  

Also, the hardest thing to do, it seems  --try to enjoy what you're learning. It should be meaningful, not turn into a daily grind. It's only school if you treat it that way.

If you need help, tips, ideas, reassurance with specific subjects, just let us know. That's what the forum is for. 

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 2

Like my teacher said, you hit the ground running when you start IB. I guess you just really need to take a breather, one day where you just relax. A day where you reflect on your priorities, and just explore everything thats bothering you. But at the end of the day, you must persevere. I can't say for sure it won't get better, but the beauty is in the struggle.

This was definitely me during the first 3/4 of my first year. I also felt pretty terrible, and even more so when I saw others doing better than me, even though I thought that I was doing pretty well. What behaaa has said basically worked for me though - I was very lucky to be able to go on a trip to another country with school for History, and just those 4 days of walking around doing something interesting and exciting that was not work really allowed me to step back and consider what was stressing me out, and I came back to school motivated and ready to go again, with the fun put back in learning. My test results that term were much better than the previous. So I'm not saying that you necessarily have to go to another country to truly step back from IB of course, but yeah, if you can afford to do so in terms of time, then do take a day or two days out or even three or four days to think and do something that you personally enjoy to let your mind rest and recuperate. It's going to be okay! :)

Put it this way, If you don't work hard, in the future you are gonna be busy toiling away, ever so slowly inching your way towards utter mediocrity. You don't want that right?? ;)  It motivates me to work my ass off. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...