What courses should I take in g11 and g12 for medicine/surgeon

Kid

While it's quite university-dependent as to what particular universities want, and in the US and in Canada you're not going into medicine right away because it's a post-graduate degree, the general consensus is that HL biology and HL chemistry are your best bets, and having at least SL math is a good idea. The rest of the subjects and at what level are up to you.

Yes, most universities have a medicine undergraduate, and you really just need to check the requirements on their websites. However, in all those universities, Chemistry HL is a must, and generally also another science/Maths at HL. The other subjects don't tend to matter as much then, it's just a matter of getting a high score (of course, that depends on what university you want to go to).

Edited by Guest

No university in the UK, with the exception of Cambridge I believe, requires HL math for medicine, so SL math is usually sufficient. If you want to take HL math because you like it/are very good at it by all means take it, but you aren't forced to!

• Like 1

Ightt. One last thing, should I take Mathematics HL or SL?

Last time I checked, the medical field prefers individuals who have a strong mathematics background. Therefore, I recommend HL. I also recommend you to take HL Biology, HL Chemistry. And perhaps throw in HL English or HL Business if you are willing to take 4 Higher Level subjects. 

I want to go into the medical field as well, so you may want to look at my personal course selection below ;)

Edit: Replace Biology SL with HL. Sorry, my signature is outdated.

Edited by A_Happy_Sheep

Last time I checked, the medical field prefers individuals who have a strong mathematics background. Therefore, I recommend HL. I also recommend you to take HL Biology, HL Chemistry. And perhaps throw in HL English or HL Business if you are willing to take 4 Higher Level subjects. 

I want to go into the medical field as well, so you may want to look at my personal course selection below ;)

English is probably my weakest subject, to be honest. Would SL be sufficient? 

English is probably my weakest subject, to be honest. Would SL be sufficient?

SL should be sufficient. Do you have a specific post- secondary institution you wish to enter? Honestly, I would simply go over to their webpage and see what extra credit they offer for specific IB courses. That way, you can formulate a good course plan which will benefit you in the future. I would say to stick to your sciences, and remember to take your third science (preferably Physics) during summer break. ;)

Sorry for any grammatical errors, I'm typing this on a phone.

I would personally disagree with A_Happy_Sheep regarding taking four HLs. The only things universities tend to want is the necessary HLs, and then all that matters is your BMAT/UKCAT and your score out of 45. There's no need to take an extra HL as, unlike American universities for example, they don't give any extra credit for it. I've also never personally heard of any preference towards those students, though of course, I may be wrong.

I would personally disagree with A_Happy_Sheep regarding taking four HLs. The only things universities tend to want is the necessary HLs, and then all that matters is your BMAT/UKCAT and your score out of 45. There's no need to take an extra HL as, unlike American universities for example, they don't give any extra credit for it. I've also never personally heard of any preference towards those students, though of course, I may be wrong.

Are you sure about that? Depending on your post- secondary course selection, you should be awarded the respective credits for HL subjects. I know that my local university awards more credit for it (I may be misunderstood, actually).

My question is, wouldn't your transcript look much better if it is clear that you have taken an extra higher level content? Wouldn't that demonstrate more academic inclination?

Sorry, I'm not even in high school yet and I want to know more about this as well. :)

Are you sure about that? Depending on your post- secondary course selection, you should be awarded the respective credits for HL subjects. I know that my local university awards more credit for it (I may be misunderstood, actually). 

My question is, wouldn't your transcript look much better if it is clear that you have taken an extra higher level content? Wouldn't that demonstrate more academic inclination?

Sorry, I'm not even in high school yet and I want to know more about this as well.  :) 

Sorry, I should have been more specific about it, I specifically meant UK universities, and I'm 90% sure that they don't give you credits (mostly because I'm pretty sure that UK universities in general don't give credits for high school subjects).

I suppose it really depends on the university and what they look for. If they're more academically inclined, then yes, perhaps it may look better, unless maybe if you get a lower score than someone who did only 3 HLs. On the other hand, other universities are more about your all-roundedness, and sometimes having more HLs has (so I've heard) decreased the amount of time people can have for other activities.

It's fine, I want to learn more about this as well, though I've lurked through various threads on here for a while, so I'd like to think I have some idea. It'd be better though, I think, if someone who's actually in university and has applied and been accepted confirmed whichever was more true. Part of it's also the fact that universities in my area are very different to yours'.

Are you sure about that? Depending on your post- secondary course selection, you should be awarded the respective credits for HL subjects. I know that my local university awards more credit for it (I may be misunderstood, actually). My question is, wouldn't your transcript look much better if it is clear that you have taken an extra higher level content? Wouldn't that demonstrate more academic inclination?Sorry, I'm not even in high school yet and I want to know more about this as well.  :) 

Sorry, I should have been more specific about it, I specifically meant UK universities, and I'm 90% sure that they don't give you credits (mostly because I'm pretty sure that UK universities in general don't give credits for high school subjects).

I suppose it really depends on the university and what they look for. If they're more academically inclined, then yes, perhaps it may look better, unless maybe if you get a lower score than someone who did only 3 HLs. On the other hand, other universities are more about your all-roundedness, and sometimes having more HLs has (so I've heard) decreased the amount of time people can have for other activities.

It's fine, I want to learn more about this as well, though I've lurked through various threads on here for a while, so I'd like to think I have some idea. It'd be better though, I think, if someone who's actually in university and has applied and been accepted confirmed whichever was more true. Part of it's also the fact that universities in my area are very different to yours'.

Yep, I'm definitely not in the UK and I've found that they offer a "full year of credits for successful completion of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme" where I come from. This is the major reason I'm taking IB. In addition, (especially in the UK, or so I've heard) post- secondary institutions tend to really appreciate the IB programme and thus you earn some extra recognition.

• 2 months later...

Yes, most universities have a medicine undergraduate, and you really just need to check the requirements on their websites. However, in all those universities, Chemistry HL is a must, and generally also another science/Maths at HL. The other subjects don't tend to matter as much then, it's just a matter of getting a high score (of course, that depends on what university you want to go to).

I know this is old but none of the schools in my area offer Chemistry HL,what would happen then?

I know this is old but none of the schools in my area offer Chemistry HL,what would happen then?

I would suggest calling the universities and explaining the situation to them - that's the advice that I'd regularly seen being given in this situation. It does make the situation trickier though. I'm sorry I can't be more help!

That should not be a problem if you are going to a university in Canada. Most undergrad programs geared towards medicine such as Biology, Bio medical, Nursing, etc. only requires SL Chem, although HL is recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure about that? Depending on your post- secondary course selection, you should be awarded the respective credits for HL subjects. I know that my local university awards more credit for it (I may be misunderstood, actually). My question is, wouldn't your transcript look much better if it is clear that you have taken an extra higher level content? Wouldn't that demonstrate more academic inclination?Sorry, I'm not even in high school yet and I want to know more about this as well.  :) 

Yep, I'm definitely not in the UK and I've found that they offer a "full year of credits for successful completion of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme" where I come from. This is the major reason I'm taking IB. In addition, (especially in the UK, or so I've heard) post- secondary institutions tend to really appreciate the IB programme and thus you earn some extra recognition.

Credits yes, but since you're in Canada I'm assuming most only accept credits only for the HL subjects unfortunately. Honestly though, most universities will accept the higher of your course mark or your IB mark.