Studying advice

2015lshamieh

Hi all, I have my Math mock exams in 1 day and basically no zilch about any of the content :(.  Unfortunately, I have not payed much attention in class this year although once I get the hang of a topic I am quite decent, I will need a 5 on my exam in May and I am aiming for the same score on the mock exam.  Would anybody here be able to give me advice on the best way to succeed in the minimal amount of time? I don't believe I have time to watch all of Mitch Campbell's videos for example but at the same time I don't think I am ready to just do practice questions without learning the content properly. Please Help!!! :) 

At this point you're pretty stuffed, and there's not too much you really can do at this point. Did you not know these exams were coming up? :S

With just one day to go, your best bet would be to try to know a little bit about each area. What are your strong points? What are your weak points? Focus on getting things up to at least a basic level of understanding so you could attempt problems on the exam. Do as many practice problems as you can on those subjects, but with such little time I'd just do a few from each section that the exam will cover, problems that you think may come up and would test the major concepts. I wouldn't bother pulling an all-nighter, as getting good sleep is imperative for doing well on an exam. 

A 5 may be attainable with some luck. Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

Thank you for you're help! I did know but I have been super overwhelmed and I am a terrible procrastinator.  I have an HL Chemistry exam coming up in 5 days which I also haven't begun preparing for but these exams are just "mock exams" which are composed of previous IB exam questions. As I will need a 5 on both HL Chemistry and Math SL I am hoping I will be able to get them on the mocks to know that I am pretty much safe.  Unfortunately I haven't really studied for 1 test so far this year :/ so I understand I'm in trouble.  I am currently watching youtube videos which seem to be a bit shorter and are a total of 6 hours for all the topics, I am actively trying to solve the problems that are presented myself while going along yet all the problems so far are rather basic.  I assume it is more useful like you said to just try and get a general yet basic grasp of the concepts rather than really honing in on some particular topics.  Without studying at all my teacher said I would get a 3 and I am not really sure whether I have a strong point or weak point (although I hate vectors :)).  Thank you for your quick reply Emmi!