umat - resources, tips, questions

beatriz

hey there!!

I am planning on sitting the UMAT this july (I'm sooo scared!!)

I've been looking for threats about UMAT & most of them are pretty old, so I want to know if someone out there has done the UMAT or can give general tips or resources.

- Most of the people say that it does not worth it taking one of the expensive courses, that it is enough with online questions and past papers. Do you agree?

- Did you have problems with time management? Both in the exam, and balance between IB & preparing for it.

- I am a bit concerned because English is not my first language (I am fluent and I have done a year and a half of IB in English though) - do you think that is going to be a problem?

I attach some practice questions with worked solutions, just in case it is helpful for anyone

Practice questions with worked solutions.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't do very well on UMAT and to be honest didn't really want to, so I may not be the best person to comment. But, I am desperately looking for something to procrastinate on instead of revising for uni, so I'll post my thoughts on UMAT.

1. I agree - you really should be fine if you have online resources with past papers/answers. Even better if you can find people to help you with questions you don't understand. Having said that, most of my friends did take the course - and they did exceptionally well - but I think they probably could've done as well even without the training, and if they just had past papers (most of them did say that). The course gives you an invaluable sense of security - but it is a lot of money! Up to you.

2. Preparation - again, as I said, I didn't really do any so I can't comment on it as it didn't take any of my time. As to time management in the exam, it was a struggle, but even though I'd never finished a full practice paper, I did get through every question. I think the key is just to move quickly, skip questions you don't understand ruthlessly, and then come back if you have time. If I remember right it is 300 questions so you have to move quick. Practice under timed conditions should help with time management.

3. For the spatial reasoning section it should be fine (section 3). Problem solving should also be manageable (section 2). The only one which might pose a problem if your English is not as good is section 2 - understanding people. However, since you say you're fluent and have done IB English (I assume as Language A), you should have no problems at all (well, section 2 can still be a problem, but it won't be native/non-native language that'll be the issue)! Again, getting used to reading passages and answering the weird UMAT-style questions is the most invaluable practice.

Hope that was useful. Best of luck with UMAT. :) 

• Like 1

I didn't do very well on UMAT and to be honest didn't really want to, so I may not be the best person to comment. But, I am desperately looking for something to procrastinate on instead of revising for uni, so I'll post my thoughts on UMAT.

1. I agree - you really should be fine if you have online resources with past papers/answers. Even better if you can find people to help you with questions you don't understand. Having said that, most of my friends did take the course - and they did exceptionally well - but I think they probably could've done as well even without the training, and if they just had past papers (most of them did say that). The course gives you an invaluable sense of security - but it is a lot of money! Up to you.

2. Preparation - again, as I said, I didn't really do any so I can't comment on it as it didn't take any of my time. As to time management in the exam, it was a struggle, but even though I'd never finished a full practice paper, I did get through every question. I think the key is just to move quickly, skip questions you don't understand ruthlessly, and then come back if you have time. If I remember right it is 300 questions so you have to move quick. Practice under timed conditions should help with time management.

3. For the spatial reasoning section it should be fine (section 3). Problem solving should also be manageable (section 2). The only one which might pose a problem if your English is not as good is section 2 - understanding people. However, since you say you're fluent and have done IB English (I assume as Language A), you should have no problems at all (well, section 2 can still be a problem, but it won't be native/non-native language that'll be the issue)! Again, getting used to reading passages and answering the weird UMAT-style questions is the most invaluable practice.

Hope that was useful. Best of luck with UMAT. :)

Thanks a lot for your imput! - It was definitely helpful.

I think that online questions & practice questions should be enough - I've found that there are many. I may consider it if your friends found it helpful & I need more questions to practice.

It is pretty interesting that I actually find the section 2 the easiest one - I found no problem at all in answering them in the practice questions. Section 1 is okay - I get the answers but it takes me ages to work out the solution (like, 3 good minutes in only a question!). Section 3 is pretty difficult for me - the most difficult one?

And yeah I am doing IB English A: Language and Literature.

thanks heaps for your advice