How should I start studying for IB mathematics?

A_Happy_Monkey

Hi, I'm currently a grade 9 student and will be going through pre- IB evaluation next year. Now, I looked at the Math 20 IB curriculum for my IB school and WOW it's complicated!

Let me provide some background firstly: math has never been a struggle for me. In fact, I have never gotten less than an A+ in mathematics IN MY LIFE. Just today, we had a surprise math evaluation, and I finished a solid 20 minutes before everyone else and still managed to score 100%. I am currently planning on selecting Math HL as an IB course, too.

In order for me to succeed in IB mathematics, however, I know that I must develop a much more solid foundation. 

Could any one of you guys please take some time to provide a bit of advice on how I should begin? What topics should I study? I'm kind of desperate right now.

math 20 IB is still pre-IB I believe.. but the key to math is having lots of practice. I honestly think you'll be fine because you seem to be fantastic at math. You still have so much time, so don't worry about prepping so much. Math 20 IB is actually not bad in my opinion. I found it significantly easier than math 10. As long as you do a lot of practice questions, you should be ok. 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1

yeah, like ShootingStar said, math is practice. Natural talent helps, no doubt, but at the end of the day, your learning new stuff and if you dont practice, your down the drain. I dont personally take Math HL, but my friends say it is crazy, because the IAs and concepts are so new and unfamiliar, basically your past achievements mean nothing. and these are guys who scored like top grades before. So yeah, practice, practice and understand. you should be fine, depends on how well you do the above

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Im not similar with your syllabus, but I too prepare for IB maths (I also want to take it at higher lever, it's more challenging). What I did is I bought a book for Additional Mathematics IGCSE which goes over some SL and HL topics. It is really interesting (at least that's my opinion) and is going to be very helpful in the future, as I'll have at least the basics covered (maybe you can take the exam as well? Just as an additional qualification ^^).

Here's a link to that book: http://www.haesemathematics.com.au/book.asp?book=camadd

It has even a self-tutor that explains certain examples if you're stuck! I find that very helpful and lately I found myself doing more additional maths than playing games (But I'm crazy that way ;) ).

What I also would recommend you do, is go over the HL syllabus and see what you can study online (YouTube etc.). This may sound stupid, but I find some of those videos very helpful, especially those that have examples for you to do!

Lastly, I don't think you should stress that much. You can archieve good grades when you practise a LOT, because maths is a wonderful subject in which your answer is either right or wrong, so it is fairly easy to study it on your own.

Hope I helped a bit :)

• 1 month later...