2 questions about Harvard College Economics

Lynxarin

Hi, 

I have two questions regarding the department of Economics at Harvard College.

1. I will go to the army in Finland after I graduate from the IB to get a 12 months leadership education and after that apply to Harvard College Economics. Let´s say I don't get in and want to re-apply the following year, will that then lower my chances since I have not attended school for 24 months, I will of course work, do voluntary work, go back-packing, study basics in business and management and go back-packing in South East Asia so I won't just sleep and eat all day long at home.

2. I'm not sure if I want to settle down in the United States after attending Harvard, or return to Finland. If asked this question by an interviewer, would Harvard prefer students that stay in the United States, or those who just come to go to school and the gets the f*ck off back to their home country? Any ideas on this? Do you think it will make any difference to them what I answer?

Thanks! 

In regards to question 1, I don't think it will lower your chances however just make sure during the time you are not at school, you are doing voluntary work or learn new skills as you mentioned that would be related to the course you are applying, if you waste your time doing nothing during that period then it will definitely lower your chances of getting in or even getting in by any chance. I remember reading of one of the articles on the application process of Oxford University, one applicant took a gap year and he applied to do medicine, during his gap year he did voluntary work in Red Cross and St John's as I remembered. As a result he got in to Oxford. So as long as you learn new skills or do voluntary work related to your course you are planning to apply, I think you have a chance of getting in even if you aren't attending school. 

Are you talking about not attending school for 12 months or 24 months? Because I really want to go to Harvard so I that's why I would be ready to perhaps sacrifice one more year just to have a new chance of applying.

Or can you apply more than one time per year?

12 months, I think 24 months might be too long, I'm not particularly sure on the time period they allow you to take gap years but personally I think 24 months is a bit too much. 12 months should be fine, when you apply just ensure you explain explicitly why you didn't attend school during that time period and justify that with the experience you gained. I don't think you can apply more than one time per year, I'm not sure about this but you could perhaps do some research on their application processes whether or not they allow you to apply more than once per year.