smcat246

I would really like to study either theatre or film production as an undergrad. I plan to double major in one of these and perhaps some sort of business major. Is anyone here planning to study either of these? What kinds of universities have good programs for theatre or film? Yes, I've been researching on Google and whatnot, but I wanted to know other people's experiences and opinions. Also- is anyone else planning to use their Theatre Independent Project in their portfolio for performing arts schools?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you're planning to study Theatre and Film, you should be looking at Art Schools majorly as they are more focused on the arts (it being an arts school, duh..). Many have relations with universities, so you don't have to worry about getting in schools/colleges that are not known - I get that feeling, the fear of ending up in a school that nobody knows.

I know someone who applied and got an offer from Tisch School of the Arts, NYU in Film; his offer was around 30 IB points. Most arts school/arts related degrees won't require a high mark from you, I have offers (from the UK) that vary from 25-34 IB points.

I've known someone else who was interesting in applying for a Theatre related course (Stage management) at Tisch. I personally didn't apply to any Theatre schools in the US, but Tisch is a very popular choice amongst people who want to take Theatre/Film courses in Uni. Seeing that you would like to major in both Theatre and Film, I think Tisch would be a very good uni you could apply to, but you would have to personally contact them via email or telephone to ask how does the double majoring thing work there.

And like IB_taking_over said, you should look at college tables as many provide you with a search engine that allows you to input the course you'd like to apply to, and then it gives you a list of schools in order of ranking. If not, just google "good film schools in usa"/"good theatre schools in usa"; sometimes you will find  recounts/reviews by graduates of the school or heck, you could even just go look at the alumnis of a school you're looking up (that's what i do haha).

About the IPP thing as portfolio - some schools will require you to produce a whole new piece of work to submit, sometimes they might even give you a set topic so they can judge it fairly with all other applicants. If they do not require a new piece of work, you could send it in as your portfolio. What I did was I didn't submit it into UCAS or any other out of UCAS applications, but I sent it in during interviews to show what I have been doing and how it might have helped me grow in terms of my Theatre career, etc etc... you get the jist.

If you have more questions, you can pm me and I will try my best to answer them :)

Edited by ohheyimstephh