7 subjects, 4 HL - is that too much? :/

helenehmj

I just chose my subjects for the next two years of IB, but I'm starting to get nervous about them because of how hard everyone says IB is. (I knew it was hard when I started, yes, but I'm getting cold feet about my choices now, haha)

I chose:

English Lang/Lit HL

Danish Literature HL

Global Politics HL

Visual Arts HL

Spanish ab initio

Biology SL

Math Studies

+ EE, ToK, etc

I have 7 subjects, 4 of which are HL, so I'm starting to get nervous about the pressure I will be putting myself under. When I chose I figured that Visual Arts HL wouldn't be that bad, as there isn't as much reading and note-taking, etc, and it's more independent. Thankfully I have a really nice IB coordinator, and I can change my subjects if I want to...

So what I'm wondering is, do any of you have 7 subjects/4 HL subjects, and is it hard/not worth it to have that many? Also, could you tell me about some of the subjects (except EE and ToK, I know those are pretty harsh), like are they so hard you feel like crying and throwing yourself off a cliff, or what? Thank you so much in advance! :)

Are you even allowed to take 7 subjects...?  :blink:  I didn't even know that...wow. 

Well, it depends on whether you think you'll be able to handle it or not. If you think you're up for it, then for sure go for it! And it seems like you have some idea of what courses you have signed up for so you seem set to go. And if worst comes to worst, you can go talk to your coordinator. 

It's not REALLY that scary. We just say that because we're teens and we love to over-exaggerate (and procrastinate!) so no need for cold feet. If you think you can handle 7 subjects, then by all means, give yourself that challenge. :)

English Lang/Lit - I love it, I'm taking it right now and I love the variety of texts you get to read. The different styles of writing you learn and it's just an overall fun course. (But sometimes, I feel it depends on the teacher)

Biology - I have HL bio but from what I hear from friends, SL is just a quick-paced version with fewer units (basically like every other HL) and it's also fine. There's also the daily homework for bio and quite a few labs, again from what I've heard. And since it's an SL course, it's really packed with content but again, if you know what you want to do and need to do then keep it. 

I don't have experience with the other courses but I hope whatever I've contributed helps in one way or another! All the best!

• Like 1

I think this is totally doable! If you persevere, and you think you're up for it, it's completely within the realm of possibility to succeed with 7 subjects, 4 of which are highers. Some people might say that it may not be worth it, in the end, though.

Most universities don't mind much which classes you take, as long as you qualify for their programs. It mostly comes down to a numbers game, and taking the standard number of subjects and highers will allow you to do the minimum amount of work and wrack up the most points. That being said, it's way more important to do what you love in high school than just do the bare minimum and scrape by in to university. If you love all these classes, then take them!

I take 6 classes, 4 highers; the ones which apply to you are English (HL), Art (HL), Biology (HL), Spanish ab and Math studies, so I can tell you about the severity of those courses. Overall, like the poster above me said, IB isn't really as difficult as most people make it out to be (or, that's how I feel in March of my first year...).

English is great, and as long as you read all your books and write well, it's easy to get at least a 6. There are some really cool books and assignments being done, so English is always great! And, imo, a class that you don't really have to study much for in the case of an exam.

HL art is the bomb dot com. I'm taking four highers because my dad didn't want me to do art (he thought it was a "waste of a higher"); you get to do exactly what you want in the course, and having it so many times per week really helps to advance your ideas quickly. It's actually a nice break from academic classes, I find.

Biology HL is pretty easy if you just listen and understand things in class, I find. I've been able to get by without much studying so far despite there being quite a bit of content. Just important to have a good teacher, and to use the biology study guide (not the textbook). I'd imagine standard is much the same.

Spanish ab is alright. What I hadn't realized is that the teacher expects you to be fluent by the end of the program. I expect this is just a fear-mongereing tactic, though, because my teacher views kids who take the ab option as trying to take the easy way out or something. As long as you learn some vocabulary and understand basic verbs, etc. it'll be fine.

Finally, maths studies is pretty much a joke, imo. It's just not a class you need to worry about unless you really struggle with maths.

P.S. I had some experience with global politics at the beginning of the year but I dropped out partly because I didn't like it or find it interesting, and partly because of the teacher. The course description made it sound like something to do with studying current events and thinking about politics and culture and human rights and things, but I found it was more about procedure, legislation and theory which bored me to death. However, I only took the class for a month... maybe? So it could be that things start to heat up after that. Just something to consider.

Sounds like a great selection of courses, though! Do you know what kind of field you'd like to go in to in the future?

Edited by Howl
  • Like 2

it is more common to do four HL and 2 SL have you thought of that? This seems like a really big course load and art is extremely time consuming. I would see if you could do 2 SL instead. At this point in the other 2 comments IB they really have not hit the iceberg of work that will soon come. I only take 6 courses and the work load was almost unbearable. Don't stretch yourself to thin. 

But if you feel like you REALLY want to do this then do it. But make sure you can drop a class if it gets too hard. 

i recommend drop spanish unless you're really desperate to do it, and change either english or danish to sl. if you're capable of doing either one at hl then you'll do great with them at sl. you ca start with 4 hl and 2 sl and drop one hl someway through the course but theres no benefit to taking an extra subject unless your university demands it.

IB Program is not really that hard... Its just all the essays and work such like that and honestly you will have no problem of handling it unless you will not follow deadlines of the paper work. At this moment i have 4 HLs and 2 SLs and i think it is nothing special to be honest with you. It will be complicated when you put your application on the university because they are looking at only 3 HLs but i think you will get some additional point of doing 4 HL and 7 subjects.. Just keep on to all dealines, do EE and IE, dont forget about CAS and TOK because that is how you can lose some points or not finish IB.

I am taking 7 subject, but just 3 HL. 

It is not this hard, specially when u have 3 languages and they do not need a lot of time. 

The only problem I had, all the IA and WA which need time to finish them. 

since u have two language as language A, you are going to read many books. 

I think this is totally doable! If you persevere, and you think you're up for it, it's completely within the realm of possibility to succeed with 7 subjects, 4 of which are highers. Some people might say that it may not be worth it, in the end, though.

Most universities don't mind much which classes you take, as long as you qualify for their programs. It mostly comes down to a numbers game, and taking the standard number of subjects and highers will allow you to do the minimum amount of work and wrack up the most points. That being said, it's way more important to do what you love in high school than just do the bare minimum and scrape by in to university. If you love all these classes, then take them!

I take 6 classes, 4 highers; the ones which apply to you are English (HL), Art (HL), Biology (HL), Spanish ab and Math studies, so I can tell you about the severity of those courses. Overall, like the poster above me said, IB isn't really as difficult as most people make it out to be (or, that's how I feel in March of my first year...).

English is great, and as long as you read all your books and write well, it's easy to get at least a 6. There are some really cool books and assignments being done, so English is always great! And, imo, a class that you don't really have to study much for in the case of an exam.

HL art is the bomb dot com. I'm taking four highers because my dad didn't want me to do art (he thought it was a "waste of a higher"); you get to do exactly what you want in the course, and having it so many times per week really helps to advance your ideas quickly. It's actually a nice break from academic classes, I find.

Biology HL is pretty easy if you just listen and understand things in class, I find. I've been able to get by without much studying so far despite there being quite a bit of content. Just important to have a good teacher, and to use the biology study guide (not the textbook). I'd imagine standard is much the same.

Spanish ab is alright. What I hadn't realized is that the teacher expects you to be fluent by the end of the program. I expect this is just a fear-mongereing tactic, though, because my teacher views kids who take the ab option as trying to take the easy way out or something. As long as you learn some vocabulary and understand basic verbs, etc. it'll be fine.

Finally, maths studies is pretty much a joke, imo. It's just not a class you need to worry about unless you really struggle with maths.

P.S. I had some experience with global politics at the beginning of the year but I dropped out partly because I didn't like it or find it interesting, and partly because of the teacher. The course description made it sound like something to do with studying current events and thinking about politics and culture and human rights and things, but I found it was more about procedure, legislation and theory which bored me to death. However, I only took the class for a month... maybe? So it could be that things start to heat up after that. Just something to consider.

Sounds like a great selection of courses, though! Do you know what kind of field you'd like to go in to in the future?

At this point I really don't know, except I do know that I don't necessarily want an academic education (which seems strange to many when I'm taking IB, but I'm just taking it so I can study abroad later on). I've been thinking about a lot of things, all from event management, to boarding school teacher, to intermedia - so yeah, I'm pretty lost at the moment, haha... Thanks though, your description of the courses really helped! :)

And thank you for the replies everyone, it was really nice to get some outside opinions!

Edited by helenehmj
  • Like 1