New angle measurement?

anb2016

Ok so I was thinking about radians and then I thought why is radians in terms of a radius?. Why not use the diameter to derive an angle measurement? I'll call it diametrans for now. so since one full turn is equal to 2pi radians, it would be Pi "diametrans" and half a turn would be π/2 diametrans and so on. I guess its not groundbreaking or anything but did I think of a viable new angle unit or has it already been made but I don't know of it? Or does it not make sense?

• Like 1

It makes sense but I think maybe because dividing each value by two would create more fractions making calculations more complicated than they already are. 

Like, having 180 degrees as pi is a lot easier than having it as pi/2 because then when we get to the acute angles, the values get ridiculous,

I doubt it hasn't been discovered before but again, an interesting point to discuss :)

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't think about that. But would it really make it harder to work with though? for example 30 degrees would just be π/24 diametrans. Not better or worse just different. I guess trigonometric functions would be weirder too cause cos(0 would be 1/2 diametrans. And the amplitude of sin and cos graphs would be 1/2

Very interesting question. One answer that I can think of is because the radius is the property of a circle that will never disappear if you divide the circle into many sections (using the normal way of dividing of course). Let's say that you divide the circle into 4 equal sections, then the diameter would disappear, but you can still see the radius.This doesn't make too much difference. But if you have one forth of a pie, would you rather measure the radius and then times it by two to get the diameter, before you can do any computations with it? or would you rather measure the radius and then do calculations with it directly?

By the way, there is also another debate that is similar to this. But instead of radius vs. diameter, it is pi vs. tau. Here's the video. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ofi_L6eAo

• Like 1