Law on Kent or Leeds?

eoeoeo3

Quite some time ago I applied to some universities, and got my offers- I received my last offer couple days ago, and now I need to reply to two of them. I am stuck between Kent and Leeds. Those two both seem to be great, but which one should I choose? Kent is 15-minutes away from the sea and 45 minutes away from London, which I literally love, but on the other hand I know that location is not the feature I should look at the most. Leeds is part of Russell group and has great facilities. As you can probably see I am not from the UK and at the moment I don't really have time to visit the two (although if I don't decide within a week or so I may need to think about scheduling some tours). What are the pros and cons? What would you recommend? Why Kent? Why Leeds? Or perhaps Bristol is worth considering? I want to study law, as I mentioned in the topic. Thank you!

Hey, you're exactly right to say that location isn't the only thing you should look at, although if given the chance to see all of your options I recommend you do as I personally went for the Uni that I thought felt right for me, where I thought I would excel best at, and I don't regret my choice. Others I know (such as Arrowhead on here) didn't let location be his deciding factor, and he decided to go for a very prestigious (non-campus) London uni over a less prestigious campus uni as he recognised the importance of prestige (especially in law) over location. I know that contrasts with my decision (I turned down Warwick for Southampton), but everybody's different and having visited both I decided I really liked Southampton - the place AND the degree which is important, and I disliked Warwick, thought it was a dull day when I went there personally.

If you want to be a lawyer after your degree, it's worth noting that it's a pretty snobby profession when it comes to where you studied so it's important to go to a respected uni. From your post, I would say if Bristol is an option (and providing you had the chance to visit, you did and liked it) definitely go there as it is the highest ranked. I'm not sure how it stands between Kent and Leeds, I thought Leeds would be more prestigious but a quick look at one league table (which ofc varies not even from year to year but between different tables in the same year, so conduct some research!) seems to say that Kent comes over Leeds. If one is clearly ahead of the other, probably go for the prestigious one unless you have an objection to that place having visited both. If they're very similar in terms of reputation, go for the place you like most. If Leeds is Russell Group and Kent is not, however, I would say that's a strong swing in favour of Leeds in terms of reputation...

Thank you so much for your answer! This means that I probably need to visit both in order to find out where I want to go. And just so you know: I don't exactly see legal profession (any legal profession) as the one for me, but law is essential in many areas of life (and careers)... :)

Bristol is the best option between the three whatever your career plans. It has a better law programme, better facilities, and yes, a stronger reputation that affords you a lot of options that Kent and Leeds could not provide to the same standard.

While TykeDragon chose Southampton over Warwick based on an Open Day visit, I still strongly disagreed with (yet respected) his decision. You have to decide what's best for you in the end. But, in my opinion, it's very easy to get a poor opinion of a university on a single Open Day visit where on a different day with a different guide you might have had a much better opinion. A University experience is what you make of it wherever you might end up going.

I think you ought to research and bear in mind the following considerations when making your decision (listed in decreasing order of importance):

(1) Quality of course;
(2) Teaching styles;
(3) Library facilities;
(4) IT facilities;
(5) Online resources;
(6) Number of options available during your degree;
(7) University infrastructure and support;
(8) Variety of optional legal courses to explore;
(9) Undergraduate student life;
(10) Quality of accommodation offered.

• Like 2

Thank you all a lot! I just responded to the offers and I accepted Leeds as my firm choice- I just think this Uni suits me best after all. Besides I can always transfer elsewhere if I won't like it there, but I honestly don't think that will be necessary. Kent is my insurance choice, but I'm actually rejecting the possibility of getting less than 35 points :) that's helluva lot of motivation if you ask me :)