Math failure

AnneElena

Hey.

I'm currently at Pre-IB in Denmark and just chose Math Studies, which I will be starting this fall, but now I have started looking at universities (Scotland) and they seem to not accept Studies (Psychology and Business Management).

My problem is that if I change to Math SL I don't think I will get the average I need. I am, and always have been, a total math failure. I understand roughly 30% of what we are doing in class and I'm only in Pre-IB.

Any thoughts on what to do? Preferably from people who have struggled with math too, but managed to level up.

It is true that Maths Studies will not provide a standard of maths that is high enough to gain entrance into certain University courses.

Double check the requirements on the course(s) that you are interested in, some will ask for Standard Maths AND a level 6/7. If it's asking for Standard Maths and a High Grade perhaps you should look for less competitive Universities? My advice would be to choose Standard Maths and get extra help.

Arrange to spend some time with your teacher each week just revisiting material covered in class. At the end of the day you need to weigh up your options, explore different Universities and their requirements and, if your Maths is very weak, do Studies but find a Course which accepts Students who haven't done a particularly high standard of maths.

p.s I do Standard Maths, but whilst looking for Economics courses have found some Universities will not accept me as I have not done Maths at Higher Level, so I know the problem that you are faced with!

Believe me when I say math is not at ALL one of my strengths…

I am doing math standard level right now and I'm not doing the the best, but not the worse. All I can suggest is to try to learn the material beforehand in the break, so at least you have seen the material before. 

It really depends on your program of choice. If you plan to enter an engineering program, then yes, HL math would be a plus. But if you're looking into economics, then SL/studies should be fine.

• Like 1