Can my Extended Essay have the same topic as my IA?

KTawzac97

I am planning on writing a History Extended Essay over the Hittite Empire. When searching for sources for my EE, I had found that there was more information for the same battle as my IA instead of the battle that I wanted to use on my EE originally. Can I use the same battle or would it be too similar to my History IA?

My Original Question: To what extent was the iron development of the Hittite Empire more important than the military strategy in the war against the Mitanni?

History IA Question: To what extent did the Battle and Treaty of Kadesh affect the Hittite Empire?

New Question: To what extent was the iron development of the Hittite Empire more important than the military strategy in the battle against the Egyptian Empire?

The question stayed almost the exactly the same with the exception of the battle but would it still be considered okay in the Extended Essay guidelines since it uses the same battle as my Internal Assessment?

You are not allowed to do the same topic as your IA. That is, you can't use the same question and examine the same thing. You're allowed to do things under the same umbrella topic (my IA could be about machine guns in World War II and my EE could be about the Warsaw Uprising. Both are WWII, but not the same topic within), but I think yours is too close. You might get away with it, you might not. I don't think it is worth the risk. 

• Like 1