2 HL's and 4 SL's?

gohawks

I literally lol'ed when I read your reply inthemaking. It never ceases to amaze me how there can be such cluster****s in IB schools...

OP, you can still get the full diploma as long as you take 3 HL exams and 3 SL exams. The IBC's register you (normally) in the beginning of IB2 so you should be fine. For your sake, I hope that you are moving from SL to HL in a subject you already take and that the IA requirement isn't too drastic so you can do the extra work - if not, you have cause for concern :P.

I don't understand..how can your subjects from this year and next year be different?

I have AP US history and English Honors for my 2 HL's.

I have Chem SL, Visual Arts SL, and Algebra 2 SL.

Next year, I would take Visual Arts HL through talking to my art teacher about it, I know she's done that for other students. How am I supposed to take 3 HL exams if I'm in 2 HL classes?

Edited by gohawks

I don't know why you Americans make life so confusing for yourselves.

Bottom line: IB has to be done with 3 HLs and 3 SLs. If you don't do that, all you'll get are certificates and not a diploma.

I'm not sure how an AP US history class would qualify for an IB history course. Make sure you're not putting yourself in deep **** here.

Next year, I would take Visual Arts HL through talking to my art teacher about it, I know she's done that for other students. How am I supposed to take 3 HL exams if I'm in 2 HL classes?

Er.. in the IB Diploma program, by the end of it, you would have to have taken 3 HL courses and 3 SLs (unless you have 4 HL/2 SL). AP US History is AP, not IB. They're not the same. Algebra 2 and English Honours are not IB courses. IB Math SL and IB English SL are.
Bottom line: IB has to be done with 3 HLs and 3 SLs. If you don't do that, all you'll get are certificates and not a diploma.
Or you can have 4 HLs and 2 SLs.

Er.. in the IB Diploma program, by the end of it, you would have to have taken 3 HL courses and 3 SLs (unless you have 4 HL/2 SL). AP US History is AP, not IB. They're not the same. Algebra 2 and English Honours are not IB courses. IB Math SL and IB English SL are.

Or you can have 4 HLs and 2 SLs.

I think that differs between countries. Here in America, the only English class we offer at the highest level is HL, and we have one honors teacher for English. So I'm on the right track, that is the class I need to take. As for AP US, again, that's what I need to take for IB, according to my IB coordinator. There is no IB history class, however, after the AP exam in May, my US hist. teacher told us she would work with the IB kids on History of Americas, so..

Amen.

I doubt AP US history is going to cover everything you need to know in even IB History SL since a huge part of IB History (especially with the new syllabus) is world history. i.e. the world doesn't revolve around the US. Though to be fair, ironically...20th century world history kind of does...but still, even if you do move on to learning IB history after the AP exam is over, IB history is learnt from an international perspective, so it is kind of ironic still that you're taking an AP US history class and using what you learn in that class to take IB history.

Where is your second language??? You can't tkae the IB Diploma without a second language! Even if you move up to Visual Arts HL, you're still can't get a diploma if you don't have a second language.

And erm...IB Math covers much much more than just algebra.

Where is your second language??? You can't tkae the IB Diploma without a second language! Even if you move up to Visual Arts HL, you're still can't get a diploma if you don't have a second language.

Good point, there's no way he's getting a diploma.

OP, you have a lot to sort out between you and your IBC.

Let me point out again that I attend a Public High School in the US, not an IB school. A second language is not required here, that was never mentioned by my IBC. I know plenty of kids who graduated last year with the full diploma, having taken just 1 language. As a senior, I'll be taking 20th Century history...

Oh, I'm sorry, I'm taking Spanish 3 if that's what you meant.

Let me point out again that I attend a Public High School in the US, not an IB school. A second language is not required here, that was never mentioned by my IBC. I know plenty of kids who graduated last year with the full diploma, having taken just 1 language. As a senior, I'll be taking 20th Century history...

Oh, I'm sorry, I'm taking Spanish 3 if that's what you meant.

ok. i wne to a public high school in the US that offered IB too. even though the US govn't doesn't require you to take a second language it is one of he requierments to recieve an IB diploma.

for others many IB and AP classes are taught in the same room at the same time in many US public schools do of the lack of teachers.

i think you need to talk things over with your IBC coz things look a little fishy to me, i took SL math and there was way more than algrebra two on there. you need to express all of these concerns with your IBC coz you are missing somehings.

finally. spanish three is not IB spanish. by the main US standards of forign language classes in relation to IB, you need to be in at least spansih 4 to take the IB exam. spansih 5 would be better. (depnds on the state usually.)

ok. i wne to a public high school in the US that offered IB too. even though the US govn't doesn't require you to take a second language it is one of he requierments to recieve an IB diploma.

for others many IB and AP classes are taught in the same room at the same time in many US public schools do of the lack of teachers.

i think you need to talk things over with your IBC coz things look a little fishy to me, i took SL math and there was way more than algrebra two on there. you need to express all of these concerns with your IBC coz you are missing somehings.

finally. spanish three is not IB spanish. by the main US standards of forign language classes in relation to IB, you need to be in at least spansih 4 to take the IB exam. spansih 5 would be better. (depnds on the state usually.)

Next year I'm taking Spanish 4 AP.. Yes, we are mixed in, AP kids and IB kids in the same classroom. You mean to tell me the requirement is to take 2 foreign languages?

Too True.

Talk about it:

SATs, AP, IB blah blah blah (no offense to all your American out there.. but your education system is so urgh>)

See in NZ, you just need to do NCEA to get into uni. simple as that.

Anyways in answer to your question. You can only get the full ib diploma with AT LEAST 3 HLs and 3 SLs. Though some hardouts take 4 or even 5 HL's (screams) or else you will just get a certificate. I suggest you to go and talk to your career adviser/dean. And make sure you are on the right track. Ib may change your life. No kidding.

I've heard of people taking 4 HLs and 2 SLs, but none taking 2HLs and 4 SLs. But I think the bare minimum is 3 HLs and 3 SLs. Shouldn't you just take three HLs this year? I've seen many people who had to drop the subject to standard level and take another higher level because they failed their exams, and let me tell you, it is really hard. Especially in the sciences, where you must actually do make up practicals for those you missed in HL. But thats for my school, so I hope you wont have to do the same.

oh my... that's all I can say... you've really been screwed over by your IBC. I suggest you visit this site to find out the formal requirements of the IB diploma. As said above, to obtain a diploma, you will need at least 3 HL subjects and 3 SL subjects. Here's an overview of the diploma requirements:

6 subjects, 3 of which at HL, 3 at SL

-One A1 language, in your case English

-One foreign language, to be studied at the level "A2", "B", or "ab initio". In your case this would be Spanish B, either at SL or HL.

-One social science subject, such as History of the Americas HL, apparently you take it co-taught with AP US History.

-One natural science subject, for example Biology, Physics or Chemistry.

-One Mathematics subject, either Mathematical Studies SL, Mathematics SL (I believe this is what you are doing) or Mathematics HL.

-One Art subject, or an additional subject from any of the groups above. In this case, I believe you would be doing Visual Arts HL.

-In addition you will need to submit a Theory of Knowledge Essay and an Extended Essay.

- You also have to complete 150 hours of CAS

Without fulfilling all of these requirements, you will not get a diploma, but only certificates for the subjects you completed.