Most overrated book/series?

Rosalina

What's a book that everyone raves about but when you read it, you can't understand the hype behind it?

I have two:

The Fault In Our Stars (I found it predictable)

Divergent (  Why is this series so popular? The factions are too similar to the Houses in Harry Potter and the dispute between the factions made no sense to me)

• Like 2

I totally agree with The Fault in Our Stars. I don't get why it's sooooo amazing. 

A few other John Green novels: I don't get why they're so big and popular. Okay, yeah they're emotional. There are plenty of good inspirational, tear-inducing novels out there. Why THESE ones?

I watched 1 twilight movie, with my friends, I still have nightmares. that series is so ****ed up. Vampires are supposed to be blood thirsty and evil!

I totally loved percy jacksn, harry potter, inheritance cycle. But I didn't even like the plot of Fault in our stars. My best friend's girl tried to convince me to read it and I'm like ****? No way! Its weird ****.

I'll add other books I hate when I remember them

all john green books jesus christ the man is horrible his books are predictable and all the same ut literally everyone is in mad adoration with him i can't stand it.

actually the majority of YA books I can't stand predictable books with cliche characters and manic pixie girls i just can't 

also super unpopular opinion but lord of the rings (plz no hate) I just find it so boring and nothing happens in it?? it just goes on and on but it is so boring and the movies as well sorrrrryyyyyy

:o  I'm not the only one who thinks John Green is overrated?!

I can't say anything about Twilight or 50 shades because I won't touch those books with a stick :P

I also found Inkheart series overrated. The first book was OK but the last two were a mess! I also found the Kane chronicles and Heroes of Olympus wayyy too overrated compared to the Percy Jackson series.

Oh my gods, so true. I was so mad at Veronica Roth for that stupid ending for Allegiant. Who does that? I actually was alright with the Divergent series (probably because I wrote an essay on it) until I read the last one. So mad.

@Rosalina Yeah, I haven't read them either so I guess I can't really judge but based on what I've heard from other readers who I respect, I'm not touching them either. :P

See I thought The Order of the Phoenix was that one odd book in the series. The one I liked the least, but then I read them again and again and I started to realize the importance of the details she put into each novel for the entire story to form a ginormous 3-D puzzle at the end. 

For me, 

1. The Hunger Games (first book was allright, second book went downhill, never finished reading the third)

2. The second percy jackson series (yeah I lasted 165 pages into the third book)

3. Divergent series

4. Anything related to a dystopian society

5. Faults in Our Stars 

6. Twilight (DUH)

I have to admit, I thought that 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' and 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' weren't as great as people said they were.

I've never heard of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time'. Is that a bad thing?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brave New World was a bore for me.

The first few chapters were terribly long and complicated, the middle was ok, but... just felt really empty. Didnt like it very much at all.

As well. Also "Fahrenheit 451", I studied it for English B Written assignment (but read it before), I personally was quite disappointed with how shallow and predictable were the characters. 

"1984" is the best dystopian novel ever.

• Like 1