Sign in to follow this  

English EE Idea: Is it good?

Hi. I take English A Literature but would like to do an essay on Language and Literature. I was wondering if IBSurvival has any tips for me in this regard.

I would like to investigate the portrayal of Muslims in American media pre-9/11. Would that be counted as an English EE? It sounds like it will involve a lot of history. I would limit myself to a time period of fifty years (1951-2001). Do you think it's possible? Is it too vague? Thank you :)

Hi. I take English A Literature but would like to do an essay on Language and Literature. I was wondering if IBSurvival has any tips for me in this regard.

I would like to investigate the portrayal of Muslims in American media pre-9/11. Would that be counted as an English EE? It sounds like it will involve a lot of history. I would limit myself to a time period of fifty years (1951-2001). Do you think it's possible? Is it too vague? Thank you :)

To me, you're not really researching on behalf of English A at all. This seems more like history, social/global studies. You don't have any specific piece of literature, you are working with? For example: poems, novels, essays.  8-)

• Like 1

To me, you're not really researching on behalf of English A at all. This seems more like history, social/global studies. You don't have any specific piece of literature, you are working with? For example: poems, novels, essays.  8-)

Well, I wanted to investigate how language and images are used in the media to refer to Muslims in the United States. I didn't go for "literature" because frankly I don't know what to do haha. I've seen an EE where this girl talks about sexualization of women in American Apparel ads.

Well, I wanted to investigate how language and images are used in the media to refer to Muslims in the United States. I didn't go for "literature" because frankly I don't know what to do haha. I've seen an EE where this girl talks about sexualization of women in American Apparel ads.

Well, if that is possible, then anything is possible. Since, I thought that you had to have a primary source(s) and then extract themes like you have,  use of language to refer to Muslims, I can't really say much about your topic, other than go for it. When I have to choose my topic for EE in English A, I will probably choose some work of literature.  :D

You need definite source material, so your topic would probably be fine if you chose certain sources instead of a time frame, a bunch of articles that are somehow connected, for example. Definitely check with your supervisor first! The topic sounds very interesting, though, so good luck!

• Like 2

Emphasis on ... "portrayal", otherwise you risk running into what Noticeably Absent warned about in her first post. She is spot on in this.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 2