Applying to Ivy league universities as an IB student

ncarmont

Hi I'm a European IB student who is thinking of applying to the states and I was wondering what sort of SAT, ACT and IB scores Ivy league universities expect on average to be able to apply?

Also just wondering how IB students are seen by American universities and what they look for in IB students?

Thank you! :)

-ncarmont

They don't look for anything special from IB students over and above other applicants. Ivy League unis don't really care all that much if you're doing the IB, they just want to see that you're challenging yourself with the hardest selection of subjects that your school offers. if that is the IB for you, then that's that.

They look for excellence and achievement, both academically and in your extracurricular activities. They want to see some leadership positions, sports would help, involvement in your community and volunteer work of sorts and above all else, they want to see you demonstrate passion for something that motivates you towards higher education. All of this, alongside stellar grades all through your high school years (so they will be seeing everything from 9th grade onwards) and high SAT/ACT scores.

It's definitely not all about grades as it would be for European unis.

Really, if you sit down as people who've gotten into Ivy League schools, most will honestly tell you that they're unsure that they would get in again the following year. it's an unpredictable process and you really need to kill it with your application essays.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ lol?

I would like to join in on this matter... Are there any schools in the USA which accept IB students without them taking SAT? Or at least SAT Subject tests?

There are a few schools that are SAT/ACT optional. As far as I know you can't submit IB scores instead of SAT/ACT or SAT subject tests.