I have a question about Option C- Industry (SL)

pwoperfish

So I've been studying this chapter a lot and the material I'm using is actually just a PDF I got off the net (it's quite helpful though). 

In the Catalysts (SL) section there is a detailed explanation on the modes of action of both homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysts, with equations and everything. It seems a bit complicated compared to the rest of the material and I'm wondering if it even matters? I've done a LOT of past papers but I don't remember seeing anything in the catalyst questions except for the differences, factors for selection and advantages/disadvantages in using the two types of catalysts. Should I start studying this or nah? Is it part of the syllabus? 

So I've been studying this chapter a lot and the material I'm using is actually just a PDF I got off the net (it's quite helpful though). 

In the Catalysts (SL) section there is a detailed explanation on the modes of action of both homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysts, with equations and everything. It seems a bit complicated compared to the rest of the material and I'm wondering if it even matters? I've done a LOT of past papers but I don't remember seeing anything in the catalyst questions except for the differences, factors for selection and advantages/disadvantages in using the two types of catalysts. Should I start studying this or nah? Is it part of the syllabus? 

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "modes of action of both homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysts". Don't you have to understand that when you study the differences between the 2 types of catalysts?

Chemistry option.pdf

Anyway, here's my study guide for this option, which I wrote based on things written in Pearson's Chem textbook. You can scroll down to see the section that I wrote for Catalysts. It's not that much, but that was essentially everything about catalysts that I studied for during my revision; and my exam turned out to be not so bad :) Also, as you can see, I didn't put any equation in my notes for catalyst, except for the equation for Contact Process (which you're already familiar with from the study of kinetics).

Btw, one word of advice: If you have time, don't neglect anything during your revision just because it didn't appear in any of the past papers that you have done. Study everything!!! or otherwise, you would regret it if the exam ends up focusing on something that you didn't study for. Good luck!!!

Edited by Vioh