Ab initio even if you're "good"?

Hello! I have to choose my IB subjects fairly soon and im planning on choosing some pretty "hard" subjects (including HL Maths, Physics, and Chemistry) and I want to spend most of my time and energy on these subjects (as they're the most important to me). When starting the IB im going to have done 2.5 years of french. So, I was wondering if I can even though i've previously done french can choose french ab initio (since I don't want to spend much time on french especially since i'm already struggling a bit with English). Thank you very much!

If you've studied a language for more than a year you're not allowed to take it at ab initio level BUT it seems like many schools don't follow the IBO's rules on language B and ab initio courses so you may actually be allowed to take French ab initio. It's up to your school's IB coordinator and/or the French ab initio teacher. So you're better off asking your IB coordinator whether you'll be allowed.

If he/she doesn't allow you to take French ab initio then if you're good at learning languages consider taking another language at ab initio level (e.g. Spanish - I learn't French for 5 years so it's helped me out with Spanish so I'd recommend you take it (it's also IMO an easy 7!). However if you'd prefer to continue learning French then take French B.

Just like Pink97 said, it depends on the school you attend and how strictly it follows IBO's rules. Ideally, with your experience with the French language, you'd be expected to take on French B as the ab initio course is explicitly for beginners, you will find it too easy (and boring to an extent). Although I understand your ideology with the 'easy 7', but honestly I'd recommend you to take something you'll actually benefit from. At the end of the course, you'll end up with much more bilingual knowledge with French B. Although you want to focus on your HLs, nobody said the IBDP was going to be a walk in the park, it's going to be a long journey, and I'd suggest you make the most of it. 

I wanted to take Maths Studies for the same reason, but ended up taking Maths SL because I realised I was going to benefit more from it in the end.

My advice would be to take your time (you still have time), and think about it wisely. :)

Technically no, you shouldn't because you have experience in the language and now you've made it unfair for actual beginners, pushing up the grade boundaries needed for a high mark.

But if you're school does allow you, there really isn't anything stopping you from taking the course if you wanted.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it definitely depends on your school. I know at my school there were students who changed from language B to ab initio, even though they had previous experience. 

If there's no resistance on the school's part, it really depends on what your motives, goals and interests are. 

Yes it's an easy 7, but do you want to spend two years studying something without actually gaining anything from the experience?

I'm gonna have to say, it's bad to go below your level of knowledge. You have the knowledge to do French SL and you should do it. It applies to Maths as well. It is always better to go for a slightly challenging subject so you don't get bored. 

It really depends on your situation. If you are managing to do well in your other subjects, then I would definitely recommend taking a course that is more challenging and beneficial. However, if you are struggling in the other subjects, then you can switch to AB initio so you can focus on the harder subjects instead.