Formulas not in data booklet to Memorize for HL exam?

mtym

Hey guys,

Studying for the HL physics exam, and I noticed some of the important formulas are not in the data booklet. Can anyone who wrote the exam already/ is studying also give me a good list of important formulas to memorize which aren't in the data booklet?

I've found that most formulas can be derived even if they are not in the data booklet, i.e. centripetal force is not in there - but centripetal acceleration is, so you only have to multiply by m. There are multiple formulas that you have to be able to derive, some of those are in the formula booklet but not all. I always seen to forget a = -(w^2)x for SHM, and I tend to struggle with deriving Kepler's law (T^2 is proportional to R^3) because I can't remember what I'm supposed to find haha. 

What formulas did you miss?

• Like 1

They should all be in the syllabus if you have a copy - just do a quick search for "derive". The ones I can remember are Olber's paradox (not technically a formula, I guess), theta = b/lambda, Kepler's law, escape speed from a planet, v = f*lambda.. Probably missed something, though.

EDIT: with lambda being wavelength, in case you're not up to speed with your Greek alphabet ;)

Edited by Sofia.

• 7 years later...
On 4/26/2015 at 11:38 PM, Sofia. said:

I've found that most formulas can be derived even if they are not in the data booklet, i.e. centripetal force is not in there - but centripetal acceleration is, so you only have to multiply by m. There are multiple formulas that you have to be able to derive, some of those are in the formula booklet but not all. I always seen to forget a = -(w^2)x for SHM, and I tend to struggle with deriving Kepler's law (T^2 is proportional to R^3) because I can't remember what I'm supposed to find haha. 

What formulasIt takes a lot

of time just to think and then apply the concept derive when you have limited time and need to solve the paper. It takes a lot of time jus to think and then apply concept. Better to memorize them so concepts can be linked easily!