Tips for memorization?

Susannah

Hi everybody,

I'm a pre-IB student right now but I'm very excited to do the IB Diploma Program in the future! (So excited, in fact, that I look at this website daily even though I won't be in IB for another year and a half).

Anyway, as it's getting a bit closer to finals and as I'm preparing to go into more difficult classes next year and the year after that, I was wondering if anybody had any memorization tips. I have a pretty good memory already, and I use the chunking method for things like dates, number sequences, etc. I also use flashcards and quizlet for certain things as well. However, those methods don't work too well for more complicated information like scientific processes or for memorizing presentations and such. As IB students, what are your strategies for memorization and what do you find works best for you personally if you have an exam or something you have to cram for? 

Well, for remembering laws like Fleming's left hand law, I make the MFC (motion, force current), into rude words. I'll leave what exactly to imagination. It helps me because hey, everyone remembers bad language. 

For dates in History, I tend to imagine myself in the scenario. For example, World War I, Archduke Francis Ferdinand was assassinated on 28th June 1914. This helps me because I imagine being there, so i remember most dates.

Otherwise, I just use my memory (which is pretty decent) to just take it in. That works.

when I need to remember facts for Econ I get so much practice in school, that its hard to forget. 

So those are my ways.

Hope it helps you.

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't think you should necessarily be looking for better methods to memorize material.  It may sound cliché, but you should be trying your best to understand topics rather than just memorizing.  Obviously, long math formulas and such should be memorized, but for others subjects, my teachers constantly stress that memorization doesn't get anyone anywhere.  
For scientific processes and the likes, especially for subjects like Biology, you should understand how they work well enough that it just makes sense logically to you.  For example, topics like DNA replication, etc., you should understand why certain things happen, and when (ok that was a bad example but I hope you know what I mean ^_^ ).  
For presentations, just review your material so that you know what you want to talk about well enough.  By doing this, you should be able to elaborate and contextualize further upon the given topic.     

Tackling your question about exams, personally I try my best to prepare myself ahead of time.  I often make "Mind Maps/Mini-Notes" which I use to ensure I know the topics well enough that I don't have to refer to my notes in order to explain something.  Re-teaching my friends also helps as this also requires a full understanding.  'Cramming' should be avoided at all costs in my opinion.  Procrastination is that friend who stabs you in the back, and kills you; just like in the movies.   :lame:  :sorry:  But yeah, I mean if you're in a dire situation where all of a sudden your exam is tomorrow, you'd probably have no choice but to memorize and 'cram'; this won't help you in the long run however.  Glad to see you're very excited to do the Diploma program! This is just my two-cents, and I hope I helped! :D   

• Like 3

I don't recommend trying to memorise everything. Apart from the necessary formulas and ideas, try to get a general understanding of the content. 

For science, I make flashcards and memorise the formulas that ways.

For history and other content heavy courses, I like to read my notes out loud and create diagrams etc. that help me learn the main points.

• Like 1

First language: (Paper 2) make a timeline of the story line, remember which character and themes/motifs that are significant.

Second language: Make flashcards of words & meanings, understand the grammars

Sciences: Make flashcard of terms, and formulas, solving past papers have helped me ever since IGCSE and I no doubt on forcing you to find a question bank for each subject and solve ALL of the questions! (Preferably, physical copies so that you can refer to them a day or two before you final test)

Math: PAST PAPERS. After a while, you'll see how you may not need the data booklet anymore! 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Use as many senses ad you can to your learning!

To memorise something, I usually:

1. Read it over a couple times (visual learning)

2. Read it out loud a couple times (aurical and oral learning

3. Write it down various times (visual and kinetic learning)

4. Say it out loud ans repeat it various times to yourself ( oral, aurical learning and memory )

5. Try writing it down by memory various times and test yourself (visual learning and memory)