What are thr group 4 projects? And how to get a good grade?

ncarmont

Well it works differently for each school (or so I've been told) but it's fairly easy to do well. For us, we were randomly divided into groups of around 8-10 people from Physics, Bio and Chemistry all mixed together. Then we had to choose a topic and research its aspect from all sciences and either create a video or a PPT. The survey is what REALLY counted for the marks. You do a peer evaluation and they base your group 4 marks off of that. 

Dunno if that's how it works for everyone but that's how it worked for us. 

• Like 1

It's this thing you do for your IB sciences (what you end up investigating is based on the sciences you're in). It could be a lab or it could also be research depending on your school because Ik that every school does it differently. You have to do the project or you won't get your IB diploma. For the group 4 project, you get a very broad, general prompt (for example, we got waste for our group 4 project) and then you try to find a more specific topic you want to look into. You have to have a rationale for choosing to investigate that topic and you are mostly marked on how well you work in a group. You work on this for 10 hours and at the end of it, you do a self reflection and your teachers send the projects off to IB. Depending on your teachers, you may have to share your findings with other people and discuss your rationale for the project because for us, we shared our projects with other groups. Try not to stress a lot about it because it's meant to be really fun and chill :D 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1

I see that you're doing your exams in 2016, so you're doing the new Group 4 syllabi. In the new syllabi, I'm pretty sure Group 4 project isn't formally assessed (i.e goes towards your final grade), but it is still mandatory! As has been previously mentioned, each school does it differently, so I guess you'll find out soon? 

Best of luck!