If you don't pass an SL exam, but you're not in full IB, what happens?

ashleyjordan916

So I made the horrendous mistake of taking an IB class that I knew had a terrible teacher. Don't get me wrong, this teacher knows a lot of information, but they have not taught my class ANYTHING. All of our grades are simple daily grades and crap. Took literally one test the whole year. Of course, my school does not allow changing classes after the first 10 days of school and I regret it badly. If you asked me right now to outline the three main principles in the BLOA, all I could tell you is that one of them had something to do with animal testing.

Good news is that it's only an SL course, Psychology. The whole class has pretty much accepted that we are either going to fail the exam or barely pass it. What I am curious about is that if I do fail the exam but have made good grades throughout the year, what happens? I'm not taking full IB, so the diploma isn't an option. Do I get penalized for anything? Will I get any high school credit for the class? And while I'm at it, what's the best study tactic if I have to teach myself a whole course in a week? 

I don't think that is the right attitude. I mean, horrible teachers are ubiquitous. I have lots of horrible teachers but I also have my textbook, and online resources. As long as you use your initiative, I think you will be fine. Try to aim for a 6/7. :)  But to be honest, it seems unrealistic to me to study the whole syllabus in one week. maybe 1-3 months.....

Additionally, regarding to your case. I think the IB that you are doing is only for a subject certificate , not a diploma. So it is not likely to affect your high school credit .

I've no idea what is best to do in your situation, OP, but if you decide to study, a combination of IB Psychology guides that outline studies or whole answers (ibpsychnotes.com is a very good one--it's not detailed enough, since you have basically no time left, it should work) and your books for the theory should provide enough information.

I agree with what was said above though, you need at least a month, and even then you would be studying a lot of material in a very short time. Ask your school what's going to happen if you fail the test and if it really screws something up, like you won't be able to graduate, do your best to study enough to get a few points from each paper and try to score a 2. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've no idea what is best to do in your situation, OP, but if you decide to study, a combination of IB Psychology guides that outline studies or whole answers (ibpsychnotes.com is a very good one--it's not detailed enough, since you have basically no time left, it should work) and your books for the theory should provide enough information.

I agree with what was said above though, you need at least a month, and even then you would be studying a lot of material in a very short time. Ask your school what's going to happen if you fail the test and if it really screws something up, like you won't be able to graduate, do your best to study enough to get a few points from each paper and try to score a 2.

So for a certificate student, you'll pass if you get a 2 in a sl level subject or is that just for diploma students?? Because I'm very worried about my math studies exam and I'm taking certificate but like 6 subjects and all. But if I get a 2 do I fail? Meaning do the same failing conditions for diploma apply to me?

I've no idea what is best to do in your situation, OP, but if you decide to study, a combination of IB Psychology guides that outline studies or whole answers (ibpsychnotes.com is a very good one--it's not detailed enough, since you have basically no time left, it should work) and your books for the theory should provide enough information.

I agree with what was said above though, you need at least a month, and even then you would be studying a lot of material in a very short time. Ask your school what's going to happen if you fail the test and if it really screws something up, like you won't be able to graduate, do your best to study enough to get a few points from each paper and try to score a 2.

So for a certificate student, you'll pass if you get a 2 in a sl level subject or is that just for diploma students?? Because I'm very worried about my math studies exam and I'm taking certificate but like 6 subjects and all. But if I get a 2 do I fail? Meaning do the same failing conditions for diploma apply to me?

I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I understand, the certificate shows you didn't achieve what was necessary for the diploma, so you would get the certificate no matter what your grades are.