Choosing subjects - is this combination ok?

Marie S

Hello! I am starting IB diploma programme in the fall, and I was curious if there was anything I should now about the combination of subjects, amount of workload or difficulty?

Right now, I am supposed to take:

Math HL

Physics HL

Global politics HL

Enligsh and litterature SL

Norweagian SL

Visual arts SL

I can still change them, so any input would be helpfull! Thank you in advance!

Hi,

Firstly, please don't bump threads. That's not going to help.

Next, are you good at math? Math HL means either:

a) You are good at math and enjoy it or

b) You are very hardworking.

So, that would be my advice. I take Math SL, since Math is not my strong point.

Physics, same as above.

I take Lang/Lit at HL (I presume that's what you mean in your post), and it's very manageable, provided you work regularly. So, I assume SL would be easier.

I have no clue about the others, but it doesn't seem to be a crazy combo.

Math and physics HL - time consuming and hard work (unless you are very good at it and can do it faster)

Global politics - no idea, sorry. But It seems interesting.

English Lang and lit - meh. Manageable. It's not too hard nor is it very easy from what I've heard.

Norwegian SL - should be your B language and if you are Norwegian and know the language, shouldn't be too hard I guess. I am not very sure about this one though...

Visual arts - from what I've seen on this forum and heard, it's fairly easy if you've got that type of mind but it's very time. Don't take this subject lightly and procrastination won't help here (it won't help anywhere but here especially).

In the end just make sure you are motivated and interested in the subjects you take because that will help a lot! Also try to make sure that the teachers in those subjects are capable and good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

sorry but i am forecasted to take IB next year as well and i am still slightly concerned about my subject choices... anyone who will be willing to help it is much appreciated :)

at current i plan to take: 

HL English lit 

HL Psychology 

HL Design technology 

SL Spanish ab 

SL Math 

SL Theatre 

does anyone have any advice or just comments on my subject choices? are they too easy/ too hard? anything that i should be looking out for? 

also i am considering switching theatre to HL and design technology to SL as I probably will study liberal arts in university and Design technology is time consuming and not related to liberal arts. is this wise? 

thank you so much!

Hi all

sorry but i am forecasted to take IB next year as well and i am still slightly concerned about my subject choices... anyone who will be willing to help it is much appreciated :)

at current i plan to take: 

HL English lit 

HL Psychology 

HL Design technology 

SL Spanish ab 

SL Math 

SL Theatre 

does anyone have any advice or just comments on my subject choices? are they too easy/ too hard? anything that i should be looking out for? 

also i am considering switching theatre to HL and design technology to SL as I probably will study liberal arts in university and Design technology is time consuming and not related to liberal arts. is this wise? 

thank you so much!

You should be fine in terms of workload with your subject choices.. From what I've heard, DT is a piece of cake. I advise you to take a look at a few university conditions for your course and see what they require as HL subjects. You can then decide if you've chosen the right subjects or not :) Good luck!

• Like 1