Extended Essay

Umar Mukhtar

Hi! I would like to ask if there will be any biased judgement towards my research in extended essay if I am keen in doing a gobally hot controversial topic? If there is, how shall I prevent those judgement from effecting my overall EE marks? I am currently under subject History. 

Our IB coordinator mentioned that doing a globally controversial topic generally should not be a problem. But you have to make sure that you can obtain credible and accepted sources for you argument. 

However, she did recommend against it just to be safe. She knows a student did hers on the Israel-Palestine Conflict and it got sent to...you guessed it...Israel. 

If you are doing a controversial topic: Even though your EE will be marked against the strict rubrik, unfortunately your mark could be compromised if your examiner opposes your stance. Like my history teacher said 'it's the luck of the draw.'

I'd honestly highly suggest doing a topic for which there could be no bias as you could potentially have no control over your mark once your topic is chosen. My school always recommends this and the majority of history EE students end up getting As and Bs.