Using HL theory in SL exams

Guest HayashiEsme

Guest HayashiEsme

Hi, I'm preparing for the May exams in Econs SL and was wondering how examiners consider HL content being used in SL exams. 

I'm thinking mostly about essays on International Trade. I keep wanting to explain its benefits in terms of comparative and absolute advantages and was after that I might've not explained it with enough depth of a HL student. Will I be able to use these concepts and will I have to define them or can I just use it since my syllabus doesn't technically cover these concepts. 

This is just my two cents, but I think you should stick with what you've learn from the syllabus. The examiners will be looking specifically if you've covered the material that is on the teaching plan. Because of this, it is better to be more versed in SL concepts because that's all you need to get full marks. Frosting around the cake is nice, but it's not exactly what they look for.

I kinda disagree. My teacher's a moderator and tells us that HL content is very good for evaluation (things like Marshall-Lerner, or the multiplier). Most of the HL content is just a bit of SL extension so by all means, use HL content!