Purpose of life

Solarstorm

For me it's enjoying it as it comes.

Looking to the future, but also working as well to do what I want to do and then some.

Just as long as I have no regrets, I'll consider it a good life.

..okay here is what I really think :D :

Life is for getting by and enjoying yourself, but when you think about it, what's the use?! No matter what you never get out alive D:

:D

• Like 1

my purpose in life is to be as thankful to God as possible for all the things he has blessed us all with (food, shelter, education.... etc), and to live a happy life =)

most people's purpose would be to earn a lot of money (the world is officially becoming a place for the superficial!) =P

• 4 weeks later...

I think know that my purpose of life is to help all the people who are living through bad moments (depression, break ups, suicidal thoughts, etc.). I've always felt like a psychologist, because I usually end up being friends with people who have some kind of psychological problem. I really enjoy helping them, even though my parents say that if I spent half the time I spend trying to help people doing my homework, I'd have a 4.0 :)

But seriously, we don't really have a "purpose", we are just here, and we make the most of it. I think that we choose our own purpose of life. We are all going to die anyways, so I'd rather devote my life to some "higher purpose" just to feel good about myself :)

Edited by Chesire_Cat

• 3 weeks later...

Purpose of life: Do things that only humans can do, do them well, and do them often.

For some of us (myself included) that means getting a good job and making money.

For some of us (again myself included) that means learning lots, appreciating art, appreciating other people, and philosophizing.

Anyways, I'm a big believer in the whole "different levels of enjoyment" thing, meaning that I may like eating candy, but I'd give it up for something higher up on the intellectual chain, like being able to appreciate a good book.

• 1 year later...

I don't think there is a purpose. However, since we're already here, the thing on top of the priority list is further evolution of the species. That is all.

The purpose IN life should be to work towards the further evolution of the species, instead of serving only oneself and oneself's capitalist needs.

Does there need to be one? :P

I'm not convinced there is and am willing to ignore the question altogether for as long as possible. It's annoyingly fundamental, unanswerable and above all ego-centric. I don't think that my pet hamster has a higher purpose, for instance... just because I can consider whether or not I have one, it doesn't mean there's anything more for me.

The purpose of my life? To change the world. I will change the world :P

The purpose of most human's life? To survive, to reproduce, to chill and watch the world grow.

When I was young, I used to think about this a lot. I mean if there is a god, he/she/it can't have put us here for any reason right? There must be some depper meaning. Actually there's probably some secret to blowing up the universe stuck in the earth's core, and humans are here to protect it ;P

The purpose of our lives might be to make this world a better place, for you and for me. Not because I am a fan of MJ, but I just think that it is really true. Study hard, work hard, dedicate your lives for the world and maximise your dedication to the country/world. To be honest, I sometimes feel that the financially challenged people in the world are really suffering. They do need our help, but we are just not there to help. If I were so rich, I would be willing to give every poor person a $10 each. Well, it's not a lot but at least it helps. I would like to give them a proper place to live in. I would like them to have a job and so they would be able to live from their own wages. Every child must also experience what we call "formal EDUCATION". There should be more people who are aware and who care about this. F this world. People nowadays are wasting their time, money and opportunities :P

has anyone thought of being happy?? maybe we complicate ourselves too much. stop thinking about the reasons for everything and start living... go jump with no reason, or screw the life of someone else... hey guys, get some ok? just be happy and stop thinking about the what ifs or the consequences of everything... GET WILD!

haha sorry about the previous, a momment of stupidity... but really, be happy and responsible. that's it

• 1 month later...

Loll.. I actually wrote a blog the other night on this on my tumblr... :P

"It’s quite funny when you think about. I currently am lying on my bed and it’s 4:23 AM Monday. I just happen to not be able to sleep ****ily enough. The caffeine is getting to me again. You know those moments when your having the time of your life right? Time just happen to go by soo fast. And when you bored as hell with nothing to do.. Time goes by like a snail. It’s funny… Because when you really think about ‘life’ like how you would discuss about it in TOK class. There really isn’t much of any other purposes than to just survive. Life. It’s like a crime to enjoy yourself, that’s why everything goes by like the speed of light when you do. It’s like a message telling you to ‘get serious and do something more worthwhile’. We were born onto this planet. We were made to go into kindergarten to learn to walk, talk, basic things really. Why? So we can survive. Because from that point, we are forced to keep moving forward… You know… Primary school, Middle school, High school. Then what? University. Then a Job. The only break we really do ever get in this lifetime is after we are sure we will be able to support the rest of the lives on our own. We get left with this little bit of time. Obviously this doesn’t necessarily apply to everybody… But generally yes. Then what? we die. That’s it. We all have goals, we all want to accomplish different things. We all need money, and we all want it to a certain extent. Why? Because it helps us survive. Life is a game. It’s all about surviving. It has always been. They tell you that you can have fun anytime you want… Education comes first though. But why? Well duh. So we all can get somewhere in life, and survive. Fun is something we’ll never get enough.. It’s just like a drug. Fun is not a substance.. But it is addictive. Life limits it.

Just a thought :D Now… It’s 4:35. I’m gonna try to sleep again. x"

When I was much younger I used to think about this question a lot. You know, questions like "Why are we here?" and "Who am I?". I remember having internal debates with myself and typing blog entries about such things. (Yes, I think I was a bit of a weird kid)

Strangely enough, now that I am much older I think much less about this question. At a biological point of view, as some of the previous posters have mentioned, we are here to survive, to reproduce, and to pass on our genes. But as humans, we do what humans do- we theologize and try to make some sense out of this thing we call life. Some even say life is just an illusion. Personally, I don't think wondering about the nature of life is necessarily a wrong or a stupid thing to do. After all, it is only natural to have questions about our own existence. But at the same time, there really aren't answers to questions like that. True, we can talk about the dreams and goals we have in life. For example, I want to live happily and make my mark on the world by benefiting those around me and advancing human knowledge. But are goals and dreams the same as purposes? The words somehow sound different to me.

Haha I went on and on and got off topic.