word count .... How to calculate....

So I am mac-air user and in 'page', the word count showed is apparently different from the word counter I use from the internet. I dont know which one I should trust...

Edited by Guest

If the difference is significant, think of what could cause it. For example MS Word also counts in content in tables while some counters do not (and it should not be regarded in your official word count). Could be similar with hyperlinks, or sometimes even numbers, but it varies between different word processors, and I'm not sure about Apple software.

But unless you're somewhere around the limit, or the difference is really big, don't worry too much about it and put whichever value you think seems more reliable.

Edited by Slovakov

If the difference is significant, think of what could cause it. For example MS Word also counts in content in tables while some counters do not (and it should not be regarded in your official word count). Could be similar with hyperlinks, or sometimes even numbers, but it varies between different word processors, and I'm not sure about Apple software.

But unless you're somewhere around the limit, or the difference is really big, don't worry too much about it and put whichever calue you think seems more reliable.

But for my econ IA,  750 words is the limit and if I got over it ( even just for 1-2 words), would I be penalised?

It's rather unlikely that it will be checked too strictly. Turnitin does have a word-count function, but most of the teachers/examiners are aware that this count may vary by a few words depending on a tool you use for it.

But there was a case at my school when an examiner took points off a girl's EE because of word limit in her abstract exceeded by... 2 words. (What's more, he counted it manually nad got it wrong!) So as I said above, if you're around the limit, be careful, just in case...

Edited by Slovakov