Has anyone been accepted for engineering?

Magician

I have.... a few years ago, but still. :P The requirements or course outline at my uni haven't changed much since my first year though.

I applied to the university of Birmingham, applied for MEng Mechanical Engineering and got a conditional offer for 35 points including 5 in math and physics HL (or something similar, I can't remember precisely). I missed it, but still  got a place on a BEng course.

Edited by Slovakov
  • Like 1

I'm at a large state school in the USA. They didn't care much about my individual IB subjects or score, just that I was in IB. My unweighted GPA was ~3.85/4, my SAT for math and reading (they didn't count the writing section) was something like 1300/1600. I didn't take the ACT or have SAT II exams. My extracurriculars were three years of volunteering at a science museum, six years of assisting elementary summer school programs, four years of martial arts, and a part time job. Didn't need TOEFL or anything like that. They've gotten a little more selective since when I applied three years ago, but I'd still likely get in with what I applied with.

The US almost always gives unconditional offers so once I was accepted I just had to finish the year with relatively the same grades I was making when I applied and that was it. I initially entered as a chemistry major but I was allowed to switch to chemical engineering after a semester and had no problems doing so.

• Like 1

I think they were trying to explain the way the US typically handles the IB. Over here, universities view it similar to an advanced placement course, and will award course credit for getting a certain score on an exam (typically HL only, but I have seen a few places award credit for SL exams).

How they do this varies. At my university they award credit for the corresponding course offered there, and you can use it to either not have to take a general education course now (in the US you don't just study your intended degree, you often are required to take breadth requirements in most major subject areas), or you can use it to take certain courses sooner (eg taking the IB psych exam gives you credit for the introductory psych class, and allows you to take a more advanced psych course right away instead of having to take the intro class first). Some places just award you a certain number of credits for completing a diploma (usually equivalent to the standard credits you'd get your first year) which allows you to have a higher standing and possibly graduate earlier.

• Like 1

similar to an advanced placement course, and will award course credit for getting a certain score on an exam (typically HL only, but I have seen a few places award credit for SL exams).

Nearly all public universities give credit for SL exams. But yeah, they just view it as "You're in the program. Good job." They don't care too much about your scores.

similar to an advanced placement course, and will award course credit for getting a certain score on an exam (typically HL only, but I have seen a few places award credit for SL exams).

Nearly all public universities give credit for SL exams. But yeah, they just view it as "You're in the program. Good job." They don't care too much about your scores.

I'd have been soo jealous if I'd known this at the time! XD

I'd have been soo jealous if I'd known this at the time! XD

My university doesn't give credit for SL exams! But the minimum score needed for credit for HL exams is a 4, so I shouldn't complain :P

• Like 1

I got into aerospace engineering in the US. At a medium-large state school.

IB is a predicted ~38 (not all my teachers told me my grades), 1970/2400 SAT, 113/120 Toefl IBT, no SAT 2, no ACT. Basically no ECA's. and a 3.3 GPA.

Thanks everyone. :)

I'm looking forward to studying Computer Science mostly in Hong Kong or probably in the states. Anyone with experience from those areas? (HK, US West (Cali), US East (NY), etc.)

Edited by DudePerfect
  • Like 1

Your terms for east and west are wrong (the US east coast is states like New York, Florida) and the US west coast is California. I go to school in a midwest state but I am originally from an east coast state so I can try to help, though it's pretty similar regardless of where you're applying.

I was accepted into Engineering at the University of Southern California in (well duh) California. I also got into Georgia Tech, and Tulane University. I was wait listed at Chicago and St. Louis. My stats? 31 ACT. 3.9 unweighted GPA and 4.4 weighted. Killer extracurriculars though and 2 jobs. U.S. Unis care a lot about everything other than grades! None of my acceptance letters listed that I had to actually get the diploma.

• Like 1

I got into engineering programs (biomedical) at Brown, UCLA, UC Berkeley, University of Southern California, CalPoly, UT Austin (which were all the engineering programs I applied to! At my other schools, I applied to applied mathematics mostly)... Some really tempted me, but I ended up picking Yale-NUS (in Singapore) instead. Quarter tuition to UCLA, half to USC, something to CalPoly (can't remember), with 34 ACT, 740 Math II but excellent recommendations and ECAs (I'm really into creative writing/african history with unique sports and a lot of leadership, which may have let me stand out amongst the engineering applicants...). Super happy/blessed with how the process went!

• Like 1