Penalty for not finishing an English Paper?

season1333

I just did my English P1 (English A: lit) . I understood the content but unfortunately did not get a chance to finish my essay (time has always been my enemy at this). Therefore I did not get to discuss one stanza of the poem and did not have a conclusion. How many marks would they take off for an unfinished essay?

The poem is straightforward so now I feel really horrible for not being able to finish TAT

I usually score between a 5 and a 6 for paper 1, so now I'm worried that I will bomb my English (which is a subject I like).

I'm not sure about not analysing the final stanza, but the examiner does understand time constraints and I've read a sample with a 23/25 where the student couldn't write a conclusion too. If your analysis is complete and you fit all the other criteria well, you won't be penalised that much. Either way, good luck!

• Like 1

umm yeah like what Eid Jazairi said, the examiners do take into consideration the time limit. I'm not going to make any promises, but you shouldn't worry too much. If you don't discuss one stanza and don't have a conclusion for a commentary you've been given days to write, then that'll be a completely different story, but if it's within a 2 hour time limit, that's at least taken into some consideration. If you found the poem to be straightforward and your thesis was based on the entire passage, then that'll help cushion the blow a bit. Yeah I've seen commentaries without a clear thesis as well even and they still scored a 7. 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1

Thank you so much!! You guys made me feel much better :)

I've been very scared that an unfinished paper will influence my mark substantially (as in History), especially knowing that I will loose points on the Language section of the criteria--English is not my first language (aka I cannot spell things at all). I do feel a bit more hopeful now, thank you again!