Mitch's IB Physics Exam Preparation Extravaganza

MitchCampbell

Hi all. Mitch here (IB teacher and silly joke teller). 

I was thinking that with the upcoming IB Physics exams on May 8th (yes, that's THIS Friday) for Paper 1 and 2, and the following Monday for Paper 3, I'd try to post all my resources for you in one place. They're all free, of course. I wish you the very best of luck! You show those exams who's the boss! Cheers, Mitch

1. A 5-day revision course for IB Physics SL.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6LH0ngwf3HtX-zu3skDM2MKCUiWjVu_H

Description:

This was designed for students in a 5-day revision course, and does NOT cover everything from the two-year syllabus. That would be crazy. But it is going through what I consider the most important things from each of the 8 core (Physics SL) topics, plus a few optional topics like Sight and Wave Phenomena and Quantum and Nuclear Physics (both are AHL topics). I also go through the Astrophysics option and go through the entire data booklet and explain every equation.

Format: 

90 videos! I'm recording myself at a chalk board, talking to you and explaining some of the most important or trickiest things from each topic.

2. All my class notes from a course I did for Physics SL/HL

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vdiu4iapbjfbvrz/AADnCeR8IGwnd8XInJuM22Jua?dl=0

Description:

A few years ago, I taught a split Physics SL/HL class. During this time, I taught using a Smartboard, which means I saved everything I ever wrote on the board during those two years as a .pdf file. This particular class was amazing - the average was a 6 (and we had 16 students). If they could do it, hopefully you can, too! You'll see tons of examples and notes, so maybe those can help you. Keep in mind, though, that you might also see things like 'test tomorrow', etc. Just ignore those. You'll see it's all organized by topics. For Physics HL, I did the Astrophysics and Relativity options.

Format:

Hundreds of .pdf files, organized by topic.

3. Videos covering entire topics:

http://studynova.com/videos/

Description:

I've made a huge amount of videos going through the entirety of some topics in Physics SL/HL. These include:

Topic 1 and 2: Mechanics

Topic 3: Thermal Physics

Topic 4: Waves

AHL topic and SL Option: Quantum and Nuclear Physics 

SL and HL Option: Astrophysics

Format:

I have over 300 videos here, going through those entire topics. Sorry I don't have all the 8 core SL topics yet - it's a huge project but I'm making progress. 

4. Here are some awesome science jokes to cheer you up (you're welcome to add some of your favourites!)

• I was reading a book on anti-gravity. It was hard to put down. 
  • A bunch of people protesting outside a physics department: "What do we want?"    "TIME TRAVEL!"    "When do we want it?"  "IRRELEVANT!"
  • If you saw a light wave, would you wave back? (Yes, I would - lightly!)
  • How much does a hipster weigh?   An instagram!
  • A neutron walks into a bar and orders a drink, then asks the bartender for the bill. He replies "For you, no charge!"
  • A hydrogen atom says to his friend "Hey, I think I lost my electron". Friend says "Are you sure?". Hydrogen atom: "I'm positive!"
  • Ok, much nerdier - Heisenberg is driving around in his car, and gets pulled over for speeding. Cop asks: "Any idea how fast you were going?" Heisenberg says "No, but I know exactly where I am!"
  • A Higgs boson goes into a church, but the priest says "You have to leave - you're not welcome". The Higgs boson says "But without me, you can't have mass!"
  • My absolute favorite: Yesterday I was so bright, my father called me Sun!   

• Like 5

I watched through almost that entire playlist to study. It was great, really easy to understand and fun to watch. It's great to see people making these videos to help future IB students.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the lovely comments. I'm so happy you were able to use the videos! I hope you kicked complete ass on your exams :)

I'm going to keep making new videos in the next few months, especially for the new syllabus. Things like particle physics are coming next, I think.

Cheers,

Mitch