Mitch's IB Math SL Exam Preparation Extravaganza

MitchCampbell

Hi all. Mitch here (IB teacher and silly joke teller). 

I did a similar post in the Physics forum, and I thought I'd try to help out students in Math SL, as well! Your exams are coming up soon, as in Tuesday May 12th (Paper 1) and Wednesday May 13th (Paper 2). With that in mind, I put up some free resources for you that should help you to prepare for those exams. Hopefully you can use these to review - I'm happy to help!

1. A 5-day revision course for IB Math SL.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivew5mr28n9h2a7/Math%20SL.zip?dl=0

Description:

This was designed for students in a 5-day revision course, and does NOT cover everything from the two-year syllabus. That would be crazy. But it is going through what I consider the most important things from each of the topics. These were from last year's syllabus, which means you should ignore anything from topic 4 (Matrices). Those have been removed. Remember that, so you don't get freaked out and think "WHAAAAAT? I've never learned about matrices?????!!!"  No problem. You don't need those smelly old matrices. Everything else is 'in'. I hope these can help you!

Format: 

It's a dropbox link to a .zip folder (sorry, but it was the only way I could put it all together). Warning, this folder is HUUGE (8 gigs).  I'm recording myself at a chalk board, talking to you and explaining some of the most important or trickiest things from each topic. I also include going through the older data booklet (most equations are the same, but keep in mind you have a new data booklet now). Finally, I explain all sorts of tips and tricks for your TI-84. 

2. An entire Paper 1 and Paper 2 exam (no breach of IB rules here - I designed them all myself)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uu2no1r2rv67yj2/Math%20SL%20exams.zip?dl=0

Description:

I go through an entire paper 1 and paper 2 exam, showing you every single step of how to solve everything. If ever I need to use a calculator, I show you everything I typed (using a TI-84). **Remember to ignore anything with Matrices in it, since this is no longer relevant for you in the newest syllabus! As an added bonus, I added a .pdf file of the exam that you can print out and try yourself, plus I have the .pdf file with all my answers on it.

Format:

Dropbox folder to a .zip file. It's just over 600 Mb, and contains all the videos for Paper 1 and Paper 2. 

3. All my class notes from a course I did for Math SL

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/27rfjpfw62vpksu/AAAzKcKLPzDuR10usQIQmWg6a?dl=0

Description:

A few years ago, I taught a Math SL class at a school where I used a Smartboard to save every single thing I wrote on the board. It's all the notes I used over the 2-year period. Keep in mind that I like to split up calculus into many different parts, so students see it many times. We'd revisit calculus for trigonometry, exponents, etc. Ignore the Matrices topic, since that's no longer relevant to you in the new syllabus.

Format:

Hundreds of .pdf files, organized by topic.

4. Videos covering entire topics:

http://studynova.com/videos/

Description:

I've put up videos going through the entirety of some topics in Math SL. I've got 5 of the 6 topics up and ready for you!

Topic 1: Numbers and Algebra

Topic 2: Functions and Equations

Topic 3: Trigonometry

Topic 4: Vectors

Topic 6: Calculus

Format:

I have over 300 videos here, going through those entire topics. The only topic that's missing is Probability and Statistics.

5. Here are some awesome math jokes to cheer you up (you're welcome to add some of your favourites!)

• What's a mathematician's favourite food? Cos Law!
  • There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Two statisticians go hunting, and the see a duck. One shoots, but it goes 10 meters to the left of the duck. The other one shoots, but it goes 10 meters to the right of the duck. They high five, saying "We got him!"
  • An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first says, "I'll have a beer." The second says, "I'll have half a beer." The third says, "I'll have a quarter of a beer." The barman pulls out just two beers and says: "Come on guys. Know your limits."
  • And remember, when doing calculus, to derive carefully :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...