English A: language and literature: May 2015 exams

cake

Ah damn.

I chose texts A and B because I was unfamiliar with the analysis requirements of a piece of song lyrics.. I would imagine that it should be studied as a poem but I'm not good with those either

This year's text choices felt harder than last year's may 2014 exams. 

I chose to do texts C and D. I honestly did not know what higher level thinking the first two texts were leaning towards lol. I wrote my paper around the philosophy of privacy and debating whether to sacrifice or protect it it to fit societal norms and exceptions. 

• Like 1

I chose to do texts C and D. I honestly did not know what higher level thinking the first two texts were leaning towards lol. I wrote my paper around the philosophy of privacy and debating whether to sacrifice or protect it it to fit societal norms and exceptions. 

I believe the texts A and B were something about size / microscopic vs macroscopic / seeing the world in detail or as a bigger picture.

But I chose Texts C and D... I kindof messed up for context though :/

Is anyone in English A: Language & Literature SL? I found it extremely hard to analyze text 1 due to the language (the British slang).. if anyone is in SL please reply back so I don't freak out even more!

Did anyone do SL? 

I found the paper sublime  :D

HEY! WHICH TEXT DID YOU DO?! TEXT 1 OR 2?! 

HEY! I'm sorry to hear that! I also did text 1 and I found it great! Found so many stylistic devices, and could say so much the topic. But this was quite possibly because I wrote about this in my EE as well. 

Is anyone in English A: Language & Literature SL? I found it extremely hard to analyze text 1 due to the language (the British slang).. if anyone is in SL please reply back so I don't freak out even more!

Did anyone do SL? 

HEY! I'm sorry to hear that! I also did text 1 and I found it great! Found so many stylistic devices, and could say so much the topic. But this was quite possibly because I wrote about this in my EE as well. 

That's so good! I'm happy for you! :) I found it really hard, I had to read the text multiple times to understand what he was saying - but I did mention some personification and symbolism (from the image - Britain's the left fishbowl and the other countries were the right). But aah.. I did the Big 5 though so hopefully it'll be fine :( 

Did anyone do SL? 

That's so good! I'm happy for you! :) I found it really hard, I had to read the text multiple times to understand what he was saying - but I did mention some personification and symbolism (from the image - Britain's the left fishbowl and the other countries were the right). But aah.. I did the Big 5 though so hopefully it'll be fine :(

Thank you :) I'm sure it wasn't too bad! The image was quite good to talk about. You'll be fine, what other subjects do you have?

Did anyone do SL? 

Thank you :) I'm sure it wasn't too bad! The image was quite good to talk about. You'll be fine, what other subjects do you have?

I have Maths, Design Technology, French B and Geography left. What about you?

Did anyone do SL? 

Fun! I have Physics, Spanish A, Maths and German B left. Done with English and Eco woooo

I wish you the best of luck! :D

Did anyone do SL? 

Fun! I have Physics, Spanish A, Maths and German B left. Done with English and Eco woooo

I wish you the best of luck! :D

Thanks, same to you :) 

Did anyone do SL? 

Yes..I did my paper 1 on text 1 about the myth of supremacy of english in the world..to be true..it was a doable task

Hi people!
I also did C and D. Found it pretty interesting btw lol

I'm just worried about my content though cause I thought the author of the lyrics was a guy...

yeah I know, it's a women. arghh

do you think my mark for criterion a would go down?

thanks

oh lang and lit hl btw

Edited by RunaMoon24

HI guys!

I am SL, I chose text 2. I found it super interesting, and when I finished my analysis, I found that it answered the guiding questions perfectly so I was quite happy :D But I think text 2 had a lot of nuances that you had to catch. I didn't choose Text 1 because I was afraid that I would end up summarizing the arguments rather than analyzing them. Text 2 was great though :)

Edited by Ossih

I did text 1 as well, it was a breeze. Lots of things to analyse. Stylistic devices, theme, audience... Had a lot to write about the structure and how it transitioned from being a satirical introduction to a factual study. I studied Candide so I had a lot of practice with wit and satire. Hope you guys did well too! Good luck on the rest of your exams :) 

Hi everyone, I did the first text on Britain too. Like Eid said, plenty of stuff to analyze and talk about, especially how the author goes from a individual to a national to an international scale with every 2-3 paragraphs. I might have misanalyzed the picture a bit though :( because I felt the fish was in a sort of solitary confinement, all alone by itself in that fish bowl, merely looking at the world of possibilities beyond (as being looked down on by the other fish). I hope they don't cut too many points there :/ . Otherwise, Paper 1 was good!! 

Also, is it mandatory to answer according to the guiding questions? 

Edited by Megamind