English A: language and literature: May 2015 exams

cake

Hi everyone, I did the first text on Britain too. Like Eid said, plenty of stuff to analyze and talk about, especially how the author goes from a individual to a national to an international scale with every 2-3 paragraphs. I might have misanalyzed the picture a bit though :( because I felt the fish was in a sort of solitary confinement, all alone by itself in that fish bowl, merely looking at the world of possibilities beyond (as being looked down on by the other fish). I hope they don't cut too many points there :/ . Otherwise, Paper 1 was good!! 

Also, is it mandatory to answer according to the guiding questions? 

That's what i wrote for the picture analysis as well! Is it wrong? I did say the left fishbowl represented Britain and the right one, the rest of the world too though. Tbh, I'm not very good at the analysis. It was doable and i could identify changes in tone and few literary devices here and there. Fingers crossed I get a 5 :') 

• Like 3

I did SL, and I chose text 1 as I felt that text 2 would require more time for me, and it also took longer in the initial reading time to notice all the stylistic features and devices used.

Regarding the cartoon in the article, I commented that it seemed to suggest Britain was isolated from other nations (the fishbowl furthest right), and that there was a greater amount and diversity of flora in the second bowl, suggesting that multiple languages can enrich our experience of language. There was also a small ruin in the first fishbowl, and I thought this might represent Britain is in a sort of linguistic 'dark age' based on Hoffman's article. 

I felt I adequately analysed every aspect of the text, but in the last 5 minutes I noticed there were arguably some contradictions in the paragraph underneath the cartoon and the one proceeding it which I didn't have time to address.

My only fear is the examiner may disagree with a few of the points I make about the text, but I believe I have justified them well using evidence from the text, and I should still be able to score a level 7. 

I chose texts A and B. Focused on perspective. I hope i did well but with P1 i never know... 

Hi man, I'm from Colombia, we both speak Spanish, we are brother countries lel hahaha. I actually think text A was extremely weird, I didn't know the incidence of the chicken or the chapel. I honestly decided to choose text C and text D even if D was a song. They were really similar in the topics of Privacy and most of the people who used these two texts agree that their main theme was privacy. Hope you did well with text A btw.

Edited by Henry Villarreal

I did SL, and I chose text 1 as I felt that text 2 would require more time for me, and it also took longer in the initial reading time to notice all the stylistic features and devices used.

Regarding the cartoon in the article, I commented that it seemed to suggest Britain was isolated from other nations (the fishbowl furthest right), and that there was a greater amount and diversity of flora in the second bowl, suggesting that multiple languages can enrich our experience of language. There was also a small ruin in the first fishbowl, and I thought this might represent Britain is in a sort of linguistic 'dark age' based on Hoffman's article. 

I felt I adequately analysed every aspect of the text, but in the last 5 minutes I noticed there were arguably some contradictions in the paragraph underneath the cartoon and the one proceeding it which I didn't have time to address.

My only fear is the examiner may disagree with a few of the points I make about the text, but I believe I have justified them well using evidence from the text, and I should still be able to score a level 7. 

I said the exactly same thing as you (Britain being isolated). I also added the theme of 'isolation'.

Edited by watermelonprincess
  • Like 1

TZ0 here. I chose section 1, texts A and B about perspectives (big vs small), and so on. I found it easier to analyze a movie poster than a song (section 2) because if I had chosen section 2, I'd probably have had to refer to poetry, metric, and lyric stylistic devices in text D; those to which I am not so familiarized, or at least I find them harder to analyze. Instead, I LOVE to analyze cartoons, or posters, or some kind of visual text. So without doubt, I chose section 1. In regards to text A about the Buttercup field, I felt there where a lot of stylistic devices like metaphors, parallels, allusions, personifications, etc. Did someone else find it this way? I actually enjoyed doing this particular comparative essay.

Hi people!

I also did C and D. Found it pretty interesting btw lol

I'm just worried about my content though cause I thought the author of the lyrics was a guy...

yeah I know, it's a women. arghh

do you think my mark for criterion a would go down?

thanks

oh lang and lit hl btw

Oh damn I though it was a guy too...

Is anyone in English A: Language & Literature SL? I found it extremely hard to analyze text 1 due to the language (the British slang).. if anyone is in SL please reply back so I don't freak out even more!

Did anyone do SL? 

I found the paper sublime  :D

HEY! WHICH TEXT DID YOU DO?! TEXT 1 OR 2?! 

yeah for me it was hard as well but i did text 1

• Like 1

HI guys!

I am SL, I chose text 2. I found it super interesting, and when I finished my analysis, I found that it answered the guiding questions perfectly so I was quite happy :D But I think text 2 had a lot of nuances that you had to catch. I didn't choose Text 1 because I was afraid that I would end up summarizing the arguments rather than analyzing them. Text 2 was great though :)

Hey, I also chose Text 2. At first I thought there was not much to write about. However after the time was up, I figured I wrote around five pages. I talked about how the details contribute to our understanding of the mood, atmosphere, character's personality, the situation and blah blah blah. Had an extra five minutes to check! How did you do? Any negative thoughts? (:

Hi guys! Lang lit HL here! I did texts A and B because I didn't really know what to do with the song lol. It was quite confusing at first, but I ended up explaining how perspective matters and in the grand scheme of things, nature overpowers man (whether in a good or bad way). 

TZ0 here. I chose section 1, texts A and B about perspectives (big vs small), and so on. I found it easier to analyze a movie poster than a song (section 2) because if I had chosen section 2, I'd probably have had to refer to poetry, metric, and lyric stylistic devices in text D; those to which I am not so familiarized, or at least I find them harder to analyze. Instead, I LOVE to analyze cartoons, or posters, or some kind of visual text. So without doubt, I chose section 1. In regards to text A about the Buttercup field, I felt there where a lot of stylistic devices like metaphors, parallels, allusions, personifications, etc. Did someone else find it this way? I actually enjoyed doing this particular comparative essay.

I completely agree, I did section 1 as well and I mentioned the exact same literary devices. I just wished I had more time because I could've written much more, but I analyzed text 2 with a feminist criticism as in how the mens' stereotypical role in society is being trivialized as women are empowering especially after the world wars and the feminist movement in the US.

Also, did anyone else find it ironic how Text A's title suited text B more and vice versa? 

HI guys!

I am SL, I chose text 2. I found it super interesting, and when I finished my analysis, I found that it answered the guiding questions perfectly so I was quite happy :D But I think text 2 had a lot of nuances that you had to catch. I didn't choose Text 1 because I was afraid that I would end up summarizing the arguments rather than analyzing them. Text 2 was great though :)

Hey, I also chose Text 2. At first I thought there was not much to write about. However after the time was up, I figured I wrote around five pages. I talked about how the details contribute to our understanding of the mood, atmosphere, character's personality, the situation and blah blah blah. Had an extra five minutes to check! How did you do? Any negative thoughts? (:

I think it went pretty well! I talked about detail yeah, but I also talked about the tone and how it doesn't match how someone in a war would normally act. He's not scared but rather thrilled, and to an extent, quite humorous as well. He talks about the grenade incident, and he is enthralled by the all the activity in the march up. And he presents 5 possibilities to his wife, the last one of which was quite funny (digging in Rouen). I said that this was because he wanted to reassure his wife that he was okay, and that there wasn't anything else to worry about. For detail, I talked about the motif of being tired but also references to Highland Laddie and them singing show us their pride.

Last, I talked about small things like the fact that his letter was written from Hell's Corner haha.

• Like 1

I completely agree, I did section 1 as well and I mentioned the exact same literary devices. I just wished I had more time because I could've written much more, but I analyzed text 2 with a feminist criticism as in how the mens' stereotypical role in society is being trivialized as women are empowering especially after the world wars and the feminist movement in the US.

Also, did anyone else find it ironic how Text A's title suited text B more and vice versa?

Yes!!! Me too! I wished I had a little more time to analyze some more elements. I actually lost time analyzing text A stylistic devices (as they were a lot!). I didn't do the feminist criticism (I didn't think of that) but what I did was that I mentioned those contexts. I did make a reference to both World Wars (Text A before WWI and yet B after WW2. Yet I can't remember if I talked about the influence of the context within the test. I probably did but somehow limited, I guess. I like that feminist criticism you used because these two texts had several points to which you could refer and make some important insights.

Lang/Lit HL. I did texts A and B, although most of my classmates did texts C and D. I found the song too intimidating and I'm better at analyzing posters than songs/poems. I actually really enjoyed texts A and B so I had a lot to talk about, although I focused more on stylistic devices than content, but I think that should be okay. A lot of the past responses to paper 1 that my teacher had showed us (he's Chief Examiner of the English A courses for the IB) focussed on devices and got 7s. So fingers crossed that I can at least get a 6! 

As for the paper 2, I did the question on techniques to evoke emotional responses. My books were The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy and Burmese Days by George Orwell. Think I did well there too. 

Hi everyone, I did the first text on Britain too. Like Eid said, plenty of stuff to analyze and talk about, especially how the author goes from a individual to a national to an international scale with every 2-3 paragraphs. I might have misanalyzed the picture a bit though :( because I felt the fish was in a sort of solitary confinement, all alone by itself in that fish bowl, merely looking at the world of possibilities beyond (as being looked down on by the other fish). I hope they don't cut too many points there :/ . Otherwise, Paper 1 was good!! 

Also, is it mandatory to answer according to the guiding questions? 

hey why do you think that's a wrong interpretation of the picture? :$ they can't cut marks unless you've simply put statements out there without explaining. Nope not mandatory to answer the guiding questions, but it's wise to talk about that stuff

Edited by ameera_khan

I chose text C and D. I found both pairs of text hard to analyse, but i think i understood the weblog, and the song lyric more. I talked about how they're presenting a similiar content in different ways using different stylistic techniques. But whats worrying me is that I kept referring to the writer of the song as a "he" and it turned out to be a she! :(