English A Literature HL Paper 1

aboker7

I also did the prose by Tan Twan Eng for TZ2. I read the poem and the prose both so many times struggling to pick between them. I just didn't understand the snakes in The Pigeon so I went for the prose. I talked about the building of suspense through war imagery, lack of dialogue and the use of nature as an enemy.

• Like 1

I decided to choose the poem ("Meditation on a Bone"). Only briefly skimmed the prose, but I knew I had a lot more to work with with the poem. I concentrated mostly on the motif of the passage of time, and how the message transcended time. I can honestly say I felt great walking out of the exam about my essay, so I'm hoping for the best!

• Like 3

I thought the poem was amazing. My class of 40 students nearly all did "Meditation on a Bone". Most of us didn't even bother reading the prose because it took too long. I talked about the power of words and the timelessness of words and their meaning; I filled an answer booklet and one page on another.

• Like 2

I did the Meditation on a Bone poem as well! I expected something much more difficult and was quite pleased with the poem. I also focused on the transcendence (exact word) of emotions through time, as did most of my classmates!

Edited by mtom
  • Like 1

I also chose to write about "Meditation on a Bone"... I also spoke of the passage of time, but I also discussed the selfish nature of man and how that inherent selfishness is what leads to degradation of ideas over time. (and it ironically our selfish nature that propagates us to find a way to be remembered in the first place which is what the last man was meditating about)

• Like 1

in HL tz2 i chose the poem "the pigeon" by Richard Church. i found it easier as compared to the prose. and i'm not sure if i'm correct or not, but my teacher told me to always notice the printed structure of the poem (this happened when we were studying Neruda) and in the paper i commented that the structure of the poem (how it visually looks) is similar to that of a structure being built horizontally. I was very unsure about this, but then after the paper i approached a grade 7 student and he approved of it. did anyone else happen to mention it? 

Edited by That_IB_Guy
  • Like 1

I also did the prose by Tan Twan Eng for TZ2. I read the poem and the prose both so many times struggling to pick between them. I just didn't understand the snakes in The Pigeon so I went for the prose. I talked about the building of suspense through war imagery, lack of dialogue and the use of nature as an enemy.

I talked about nature as an enemy as well using the figurative language, imagery (visual + auditory), as well as war imagery... I thought it was about nature's revenge (?) in a sense on humans after the war amongst mankind - and the prolonging negative impact of war on nature. I thought I had good evidence to support it but when I discussed it with other students, seemed like no one wrote on anything even close to mine.... eek!

• Like 2

I talked about nature as an enemy as well using the figurative language, imagery (visual + auditory), as well as war imagery... I thought it was about nature's revenge (?) in a sense on humans after the war amongst mankind - and the prolonging negative impact of war on nature. I thought I had good evidence to support it but when I discussed it with other students, seemed like no one wrote on anything even close to mine.... eek!

Don't worry I also talked about the same things! 

• Like 2

I did Tan Twan Eng prose, but to be honest I don't think I analysed as much as I could. I did write about nature becoming the enemy, but my classmates (who are much better at english than me) said that they also wrote about how the conflict in the prose echos our conflict happening in our modern time, and relatable. Also about death imagery and the soldier's desensitised/detached attitude in the story? (in regard to when he saw the dead bodies)

I was confused about the snakes as well!! Although I didnt really talk about nature as an enemy :(

I know lots of people who didn't talk about nature as an enemy, there are so many ways that you could have approached the text. I personally wasn't in love with either of the two options on this exam but everyone I know thought the prose was so rich. I hate that we can never tell with English exams...

• Like 2

I did Tan Twan Eng prose, but to be honest I don't think I analysed as much as I could. I did write about nature becoming the enemy, but my classmates (who are much better at english than me) said that they also wrote about how the conflict in the prose echos our conflict happening in our modern time, and relatable. Also about death imagery and the soldier's desensitised/detached attitude in the story? (in regard to when he saw the dead bodies)

i wrote about nature becoming the enemy as well! as long as you included a lot of evidence to support your claim, I think it should be fine :)

in HL tz2 i chose the poem "the pigeon" by Richard Church. i found it easier as compared to the prose. and i'm not sure if i'm correct or not, but my teacher told me to always notice the printed structure of the poem (this happened when we were studying Neruda) and in the paper i commented that the structure of the poem (how it visually looks) is similar to that of a structure being built horizontally. I was very unsure about this, but then after the paper i approached a grade 7 student and he approved of it. did anyone else happen to mention it? 

I chose "The Pigeon" by Richard Church but I didn't really mention the structure. I spoke about the auditory imagery and gave a lot of interpretations. Do you think you did well, though? :) 

• Like 1