English A Literature HL Paper 1

aboker7

in HL tz2 i chose the poem "the pigeon" by Richard Church. i found it easier as compared to the prose. and i'm not sure if i'm correct or not, but my teacher told me to always notice the printed structure of the poem (this happened when we were studying Neruda) and in the paper i commented that the structure of the poem (how it visually looks) is similar to that of a structure being built horizontally. I was very unsure about this, but then after the paper i approached a grade 7 student and he approved of it. did anyone else happen to mention it? 

I also did "The Pigeon". I discussed structure, but not the visual structure, sounds pretty interesting though - I would never have thought of it! For structure, I took more of a traditional approach with it, discussing the use of a variety of accents, line lengths and caesura/enjambment etc. What themes did you pick out?

I did the prose by Tan Twan Eng for TZ2! did anybody else go for that?? I was sort of confused and divided between the poem and prose!

I also did this one! 

Me too, although I didn't do a lot as I found it quite hard compared to what I've seen on the past papers. I wish I got a good mark though.

Hi guys,

what is the acceptable length for the paper 1?

There is no minimum length, I guess? I used to write 1000+ words, but I wrote 700ish words on Paper 1. So..., yeah...... :(

I did "Meditation on a Bone" as well. I focused on the universality of hate (it transcends time) and how easily it is passed on from one person to another, and then I talked about how the final stanza represented a wiser, objective man, who wishes to be remember for more than just hate (hence, the 'higher' emotions of pride and to some extent, a desire for good.) 

I think it went fairly well.

TZ2 here, I did 'The Pigeon'. I wasn't overly enthused about either the prose or the poem to be quite honest and felt that I could've done better but was so stressed! Sometimes just the exam situation stresses me so much I don't perform to my full potential sadly! I spoke about human nature and some religious imagery that I found within the poem, perhaps quite obscure but I'm hoping the examiner understands what I was talking about! Hope it went well for everyone and that all the rest of your exams go well too. :) 

in HL tz2 i chose the poem "the pigeon" by Richard Church. i found it easier as compared to the prose. and i'm not sure if i'm correct or not, but my teacher told me to always notice the printed structure of the poem (this happened when we were studying Neruda) and in the paper i commented that the structure of the poem (how it visually looks) is similar to that of a structure being built horizontally. I was very unsure about this, but then after the paper i approached a grade 7 student and he approved of it. did anyone else happen to mention it? 

I also did "The Pigeon". I discussed structure, but not the visual structure, sounds pretty interesting though - I would never have thought of it! For structure, I took more of a traditional approach with it, discussing the use of a variety of accents, line lengths and caesura/enjambment etc. What themes did you pick out?

I also did The Pigeon by Richard Church! I took into consideration the images of the 'concrete jungle' against nature. He had used certain onomatopeia like 'hiss' and another word I cannot remember right now (pretty drained from Philosophy HL paper 1). I played an important emphasis upon religious imagery also. How the construction workers are referred to as 'serpents' (this is also animalistic imagery), as well as how in the last stanza (I think it was the last stanza), Church utilised the phrase of a deflowered bed, symbolising a sort of funeral to the nature that once lived in that area. To me this was quite a powerful poem, and the title was quite deceiving considering one would first think that a pigeon is to do with something peaceful, yet in the actual poem, it plays a minor role until it leaves the imprint within the concrete displaying the new world vs. the old world. I also mentioned how the people stopped and watched the construction workers as they went about with their job, the fact that the people passing by were 'fascinated' by the workers could symbolise that they themselves were 'pigeon-brained' a common expression in the English Language for when someone is not very knowledgeable overall. 

These were just some of the things I had mentioned within the poem! Hope others had similar or interpreted it in their own way :) I did not focus upon the physical structure. However, I did point out the common use of punctuation as well as the sibilance in the first stanza.

Good luck to everyone else sitting for the rest of their exams! :)

Edited by sophiaspitz
  • Like 2

I did the poem "Meditation on a Bone" for TZ1 HL. Didn't even read the prose piece (something about London??? That's all I saw :P

I actually really liked the poem (more so than any practice exam poem I've had!) and felt pretty confident about my response (talked about the invasion of selfishness and idiosyncratic desire in anecdotal interpretations of history).

Hope that's not false confidence though...  :unsure: I guess we'll see come July...

I also did The Pigeon by Richard Church! I took into consideration the images of the 'concrete jungle' against nature. He had used certain onomatopeia like 'hiss' and another word I cannot remember right now (pretty drained from Philosophy HL paper 1). I played an important emphasis upon religious imagery also. How the construction workers are referred to as 'serpents' (this is also animalistic imagery), as well as how in the last stanza (I think it was the last stanza), Church utilised the phrase of a deflowered bed, symbolising a sort of funeral to the nature that once lived in that area. To me this was quite a powerful poem, and the title was quite deceiving considering one would first think that a pigeon is to do with something peaceful, yet in the actual poem, it plays a minor role until it leaves the imprint within the concrete displaying the new world vs. the old world. I also mentioned how the people stopped and watched the construction workers as they went about with their job, the fact that the people passing by were 'fascinated' by the workers could symbolise that they themselves were 'pigeon-brained' a common expression in the English Language for when someone is not very knowledgeable overall. 

These were just some of the things I had mentioned within the poem! Hope others had similar or interpreted it in their own way :) I did not focus upon the physical structure. However, I did point out the common use of punctuation as well as the sibilance in the first stanza.

Oh, wow, I never even considered the religious connotations to the word choices, but looking back, it does make sense. I think my thematic interpretation may be a little off then. I did   look at the whole auditory symphony of the sounds of the mixer though and likened it to a jungle as well, so that's somewhat promising. But I did have some strange attraction to the idea of the destruction of nature by industrialisation/industrial processes that appeared as ominous and threatening and linked it to the later idea that on the surface the products of such processes may seem pleasant (the whole mirage of water and the romantic imagery around it glimmering) as well as the people's fascination with the cement, but that in essence, the cement was just an illusion. Consequently, the pigeon (nature) stood as a warning or symbol of the possible destruction and deception of industrialisation. At least that was my "personal interpretation" in my conclusion, sounds a bit odd thinking about it now though! Ah well, bring on July :)

I also did the prose by Tan Twan Eng for TZ2. I read the poem and the prose both so many times struggling to pick between them. I just didn't understand the snakes in The Pigeon so I went for the prose. I talked about the building of suspense through war imagery, lack of dialogue and the use of nature as an enemy.

I talked about nature as an enemy as well using the figurative language, imagery (visual + auditory), as well as war imagery... I thought it was about nature's revenge (?) in a sense on humans after the war amongst mankind - and the prolonging negative impact of war on nature. I thought I had good evidence to support it but when I discussed it with other students, seemed like no one wrote on anything even close to mine.... eek!

Don't worry I also talked about the same things! 

I mostly discussed how the narrator is dealing with lingering memories of the war, and how nature/the forest represent his/her fears and traumas. Also how the lack of dialogue implies that the narrator isn't native to the area etc. Another point was how he/she was unnervingly calm and composed when the girl started flipping out, showing that he/she is used to seeing death. Then I kinda went off on a whole tangent about how the girl probably ran from the Communist Terrorists attacking her home and found the narrator (who is probably a soldier), thinking he/she would be able to help her. I explained why I thought it might be set in Vietnam and the narrator may be an American soldier, although now I know that it was a Japanese soldier in Malaysia. But anyways I gave evidence for each of my points so hopefully I wont lose too many marks! Had a few more points but I can't remember them now lol. Whole commentary was like 9 and a half pages long.

I chose "The Pigeon" by Richard Church but I didn't really mention the structure. I spoke about the auditory imagery and gave a lot of interpretations. Do you think you did well, though? :)

Oh, wow, I never even considered the religious connotations to the word choices, but looking back, it does make sense. I think my thematic interpretation may be a little off then. I did   look at the whole auditory symphony of the sounds of the mixer though and likened it to a jungle as well, so that's somewhat promising. But I did have some strange attraction to the idea of the destruction of nature by industrialisation/industrial processes that appeared as ominous and threatening and linked it to the later idea that on the surface the products of such processes may seem pleasant (the whole mirage of water and the romantic imagery around it glimmering) as well as the people's fascination with the cement, but that in essence, the cement was just an illusion. Consequently, the pigeon (nature) stood as a warning or symbol of the possible destruction and deception of industrialisation. At least that was my "personal interpretation" in my conclusion, sounds a bit odd thinking about it now though! Ah well, bring on July :)

i had similar ideas running throughout as you guys had mentioned and the i think the last two stanza's of the poem i wrote something about the pigeon resembling a deity having been disappointed and bewildered at man kinds extreme urbanisation which lead to nature's extinction, and it thrushes the air as it leaves in anger. i was kinda confused about my last idea but other than that i felt pretty confident.

sorry if i'm not clear enough... Psych HL is very draining. best of luck for all your exams! cheerio! 

I chose "The Pigeon" by Richard Church but I didn't really mention the structure. I spoke about the auditory imagery and gave a lot of interpretations. Do you think you did well, though? :)

i think i did well i felt pretty confident about it. :P how was your paper in general? and what texts had you studied for paper 2? 

i think i did well i felt pretty confident about it. :P how was your paper in general? and what texts had you studied for paper 2? 

That's great. I think I did okayy. I probably didn't write enough though. I used "Look Back In Anger" and "Pygmalion" as my drama texts. What were yours?

I concentrated too much on Psych HL, I guess I sort of neglected English >.<

Edited by Miss-Psych

Did you happen to find any reference to war in that poem? I saw the date Church wrote the poem was 1955, so I immediately thought about WWII and how that would be an influence on the poem, and how a lot of the poem is symbolic for other aspects of war. What do you think? Because a lot of people in my class said they talked about destruction of nature. 

Did you happen to find any reference to war in that poem? I saw the date Church wrote the poem was 1955, so I immediately thought about WWII and how that would be an influence on the poem, and how a lot of the poem is symbolic for other aspects of war. What do you think? Because a lot of people in my class said they talked about destruction of nature. 

well, i can't say that it's completely right. but i might be wrong. it completely depends on the examiners because the papers are corrected subjectively. it does seem kind of far fetched because WW2 ended on the 8th of may 1945 (history SL student waddup) so it completely depends on your examiner. the theme of war is far fetched but something like post war recovery seems to fit into the criteria since you can relate it to the overall theme in the poem.