English B HL Paper 1 Discussion

Cristina_

I honestly dont remember much about it. I tend to forget everything about my tests the moment i walk out.

But i remember thinking it was pretty easy, no trouble with the texts, some of the questions were weirdly worded, but aside from that it went fine.

The texts were okay. 

I don't really remember the questions either. But yeah, I guess it was okay. Not as hard as I thought it would be though.

Yes, there was a particular question about the first text, where they asked you to choose 5 right statements. I was between two different answers because both were kind of right, so that really made me confused. I guess we'll find out on July 5. I hope you all did well, good luck with the rest of your exams!  

Yes, Text B was the most difficult to me. In some questions all of the options seemed to be the right one so I got kind of cofused. I know for sure I failed that one about a word similar to "indifference", because instead of writing apathy I wrote "individualism". Overall it was a great paper.

What about Paper 2?

I choose the email as well. It was a bit difficult to come up with ideas as i couldn't remember any specific traditional costumes of my country, but i think i managed pretty well. I was worried about the argumentative response because we hadn't practiced it as much. The task was easy to understand, but mid-way through it i realized my arguments weren't as strong as i would have liked. Other than that, it went a lot better than i had pictured.  

I thought text B was nice but i didnt like text C the one talking about the meaningful reading? The questions were tricky especially the exercise of justifying the quotation...

And yeah the 'indifference' word was SUPER tricky took me a while.

Paper 2 i think the personal response was actually great but i dont think i gave it my all :/

Edited by leilah

Yes, i had trouble with the quotation exercise as well. Our teacher told us in class that if our answer was longer than the space provided we should think twice before writing it, as it might be the wrong one. But in this particular case i found all the quotes had to be long or they wouldn't have justified it completely. The one question i did have a lot of trouble with was the fill the gaps in text B. Do any of you remember what word you wrote in the last one? I choose hopefully as i thought it was the best fitting one, but many of my classmates went for "sure". (where it said "if our man in green does return, xxx he works on his one-liners more than his punches" or something like that)

And do you recall using the word "seamless"? I don't remember the exact part of the paragraph it was supposed to go, but once again some of my classmates  say they used it. It didn't seem fitting to the context, as they were criticizing the comic and seamless is similar to smooth. 

I think it was quite easy, but there was a question about a shiny telephone lever... What did they want us to answer??

For paper 2 i did the blog about social and natural sciences which was quite straight forward.. And then the TOK personal response hahaha

In the last one for filling the gaps I went for "sure". wrote hopefully but then I changed it.

Paper 2 I also did the email, and my teacher told me that it is recommendable to spend 1 hour in section A and 30 min on section B so that's what I did, wrote the email and for section b wrote a diary entry. Does someone know if I will be penalized for not counting the words? I looked at te English b guide and it only says that you will be penalized if you wrote less than 250 for section a and less than 150 for section b but it doesn't say anything about writing more or counting the words. Does someone knows how does this works??

In the last one for filling the gaps I went for "sure". wrote hopefully but then I changed it.

Paper 2 I also did the email, and my teacher told me that it is recommendable to spend 1 hour in section A and 30 min on section B so that's what I did, wrote the email and for section b wrote a diary entry. Does someone know if I will be penalized for not counting the words? I looked at te English b guide and it only says that you will be penalized if you wrote less than 250 for section a and less than 150 for section b but it doesn't say anything about writing more or counting the words. Does someone knows how does this works??

The coordinator in my school said that we don't need to write the word count

I think it was quite easy, but there was a question about a shiny telephone lever... What did they want us to answer??

For paper 2 i did the blog about social and natural sciences which was quite straight forward.. And then the TOK personal response hahaha

In the shiny lever i choose the word telephone, that's all i remember. I think it was one of the multiple choice like questions, that was the word that made more sense to me. 

The word limit for section A is between 250-words, and section B is 150-250. Writing a bit more than this shouldn't get you in trouble, but it really depends on the examiner. Sometimes they count the words and sometimes they don't, so i wouldn't stress much about it. 

Do you remember if you used the word "unfortunately" in text B gap filling exercise? 

I think i did use that word, but i couldnt say for sure.

Also section A is from 250-400 words and B 150-250 I believe. A bit under/above is fine, they dont actually count the words. But if you wrote 500 words, then they wont even read it (if the limit was 250)

Edited by Guest