SL Chemistry Exam Dilemma!

Hey guys, my sl chemistry exam is coming up really soon (exactly a week), and TBH, I haven't studied much for it. However, do you guys think it is still possible for me to do well on the exam if I study extremely hard over the next days? Any tips for study for chem?

I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm going over the syllabus and a few extra things my teacher told me. I'm almost done that and then I'm just killing myself writing past exams. That's what I suggest. Practice practice practice! And if you have any questions that you don't get, post it on IBS for help (or ask for help if you're not in Ontario and affected by the secondary school teacher strike)

I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm going over the syllabus and a few extra things my teacher told me. I'm almost done that and then I'm just killing myself writing past exams. That's what I suggest. Practice practice practice! And if you have any questions that you don't get, post it on IBS for help (or ask for help if you're not in Ontario and affected by the secondary school teacher strike)

Good to know, what type of notes are you using to study?

Richard Thornley. Richard Thornley. Richard Thornley. Thank me later ;)

I've been thinking about marathoning all his videos tommorow (while making notes at the same time of course). Do you think that would really help? Because to be completely honest, I was just gonna watch his videos and do the Question Bank questions after that. If I have a problem with a question, I can use my teacher's notes for more details. Is that a decent plan?

Yeah, I promise it'll help. Do the videos, keep doing the questions. Chemistry SL is honestly not that hard once you get the hang of it. Focus down some of the small stuff, and watch out for the tricky stuff (Richard points most of them out, so again stick to his videos). 

• Like 1

A week is plenty sufficient time to study for SL chemistry. This course is arguably easier than standard provincial-curriculum level chemistry. Make sure you understand concepts, definitions and the models they use to explain them. Reinforce your understanding by trying past papers. Usually there is a pattern in the exams candidates write, and if you find one, you'll have a better idea of what to expect on it.

• Like 1

A week is plenty sufficient time to study for SL chemistry. This course is arguably easier than standard provincial-curriculum level chemistry. Make sure you understand concepts, definitions and the models they use to explain them. Reinforce your understanding by trying past papers. Usually there is a pattern in the exams candidates write, and if you find one, you'll have a better idea of what to expect on it.

It's definitely not easier than standard provincial-curriculum level chemistry. At my school advanced chemistry is a prerequisite for IB Chemistry SL.

• Like 1

Ones that I wrote based on what my teacher gave us and taught us in class. I'm going on over the theories and example calculations and practice Qs for the exam. Feeling screwed though so yay...

Ones that I wrote based on what my teacher gave us and taught us in class. I'm going on over the theories and example calculations and practice Qs for the exam. Feeling screwed though so yay...

Oh gotchu, too bad my teacher barely gave us any good notes. Have you also tried richard thornley's videos?

the IB HL book itself is really good to read through; time consuming but cohesive and worth it. So is rich thornley. But it's possible to do well in chemistry right at the last moment. My friend was predicted a 3 on chem and got a 7.

a 3 to a 7! That's crazy. Anyways, I've been watching richard thornley this morning (I woke up really early), and he has been really helpful!