School Prizes

So every year after the final practice exams, our school has an assembly where they give prizes for some IB subjects.

E.g. 1 person might get a prize in Maths HL, 2 people in English SL, no-one in music, that kind of thing...

How do they give prizes? Is it based solely on practice exam results, or internal assessment as well, or something else? Thanks!

That's unique to your school
Prizes are only given to grade 11 students in my school because the predicted grade is used.

As school ends before the IB results are revealed, giving out prizes based on the same predicted grade would be pointless

HL and SL students are separated. Best in HL/Best in SL same subject etc.

• Like 1

That's unique to your school

Prizes are only given to grade 11 students in my school because the predicted grade is used.

As school ends before the IB results are revealed, giving out prizes based on the same predicted grade would be pointless

HL and SL students are separated. Best in HL/Best in SL same subject etc.

So do predicted grades depend upon exams only, or the internal assessments that count towards final marks, or random pieces of work throughout the year?

And thanks for the response: :)

Changes from school to school, but at mine; the term grades are averaged and are weighted accordingly (Term 2 holds a higher weightage than Term 1 as you'd have more content) The mock exams for grade 11 also holds some weightage.

In each term grade, it consists of tests, mock IAs (or actual ones), but random pieces of work like homework should not count towards your predicted grade.

Cheers

• Like 1

at my school we get an academic excellence award if we're first in a subject so that's the combination of  all exams done and it's 

They combine all exams? As in the very last exams right before the actual IB exams? And they don't take into account other IAs and things? 

And also, do they take into account little tests you may have throughout year 11 as well?

• Like 1

So every year after the final practice exams, our school has an assembly where they give prizes for some IB subjects.

E.g. 1 person might get a prize in Maths HL, 2 people in English SL, no-one in music, that kind of thing...

How do they give prizes? Is it based solely on practice exam results, or internal assessment as well, or something else? Thanks!

Umm, first thing, we are NOT in your school. My school doesn't do that, so bear that in mind. I think the best thing to do is to ask someone who's been at your school longer or a teacher or someone, because they will give you better advice.

Honestly, I cannot see how without knowing if we are in the same school we can really help you.

But thats just my two cents.

King112

at my school we get an academic excellence award if we're first in a subject so that's the combination of  all exams done and it's 

They combine all exams? As in the very last exams right before the actual IB exams? And they don't take into account other IAs and things? 

And also, do they take into account little tests you may have throughout year 11 as well?

so like in ib1 we had 2 sets of exams and ia's and in ib 2 we have 2 sets of exams and ia's then at the end of ib2 we have final exams

so all of our grades from each year are in a spreadsheet (ia marks and exam marks) and basically the person with the highest overall mark gets the award

so for example in ib1 i did physics sl for half the year before changing to sl. in the first exam block i got a 6 in physics sl and no one got a higher mark than a 6 in that course so i got the academic excellence award

and little tests don't count. the only thing that counts is exam marks and ia marks

Edited by ibprincess
  • Like 1