SHOULD I READ THE FRENCH DICTIONARY

So it just hit me how much of the IB French B course is centred around vocab. I know that we come across vocab as we get further into the course etc. etc.. but do you guys think it's a good idea to actually just read the French dictionary?

French comprehensions are really hard for me, and i have to look up every third word. Is reading the dictionary a good idea?

Thanks everyone!

That's probably just going to be a massive waste of your time. You'll pick up vocabulary just by being in class and doing general reading. Also, you've still got a year and a half until your exams. That's more than enough time to learn the vocabulary needed for a SL language course.

No, don't do that. Like Emmi said, it's a waste of time. You're not going to absorb anything by doing that. Unless you want to fall asleep, then it'll help you.

Expose yourself to different forms of media in french (i.e. music, movies, short novels, articles...etc.) and it's even a unit in SL French so win-win!

And I've recommended this to a lot of people before, make an account on Quizlet. Taking the vocab tests (I suggest based on the units but whatever works, they have a gazillion tests) really helps. I speak from experience. 

• Like 1

On the contrary... The dictionary is ideal as a learning tool (I mean the book kind), if you know how to use it fully and under the right conditions.

I speak from experience :)

Let me expand:

The best time and place to learn language is in the toilet. Consider: You're at your most relaxed and receptive state of mind -- you're in no way stressed or distracted. A prime learning moment, if there is one.  And somehow, just browsing the dictionary makes a lot of sense in the bog. Other books or electronic equipment just don't lend themselves to the same state of mind.

Allow your mind to do what it does best in the WC...wander ... think of those things you'd like to express (no pun intended) in French or might need to express in an interview or exam situation. Then look up the word and phrases and just carry on from there...One phrase and idea leads to another.

Now... the best dictionary for this is the large Robert-Collins, which has tons of useful phrases and idiomatic expressions, all ready to use. Very handy. Try it first, then decide for yourself.

We spend so much time of our lives cloistered in the toilet, why not make maximum use of it?

• Like 2