Sign in to follow this  

May15 Economics HL

Hi everyone, it's now been 24 hours so here we go.

Paper 1 I had TZ2 and did questions 1 and 3. Question 3 was a gift in my opinion, whereas question 1 was difficult

Paper 2 was a gift from above. Did question 2 about the Rupee and question 4 about Peru.

Paper 3 at first thought it was really hard. Definitely was now comparing it to past years.. But then once into it, it got much better! Did questions 2 & 3. 

ALL DONE NOW, good luck in rest of your exams.

Hello there!

Paper 1.I had Tz0 because I took the exam in Spanish. However in my exam, question 1 about price and resources allocation was difficult to understand, so i did question 2 about imperfect competition and question 4 about about the long run supply determinants.

Paper 2 was the most beautiful gift, as a matter of fact I used to dislike this paper but I must admit this exam was pretty easy. Did question 1 about Letonia and the European Union. And for development economics also did question 4 about Peru.

Before talking about paper 3, I want to say that economics is my favorite subject, actually took the IB just because of economics. But, didn't sleep well the night before the exam so I don't know why I WAS THAT NERVOUS, when I saw the questions I swear I didn't remember anything, think the anxiety blocked me and I didn't know what question to do.

Paper 3 was pretty hard, never saw ever before an exercise like those on past papers. Pitifully, I didn't have time to end the exam and leave empty the second half of question 2. And because I was so stressed out, I think I failed at most of the exercises, but nonetheless I did the procedure well, so hope examiners give me something for that.

Also I have a question, if in my IA I got a 7, and in paper 1 and 2 i did so well to get a 7, how much can the result of paper 3 affect the final grade?? I never expect this to happen, I always think I'll get a rounded 7. Please if someone knows help me.

(I hope grade boundaries for paper 3 are flexible)

Hello there!

Paper 1.I had Tz0 because I took the exam in Spanish. However in my exam, question 1 about price and resources allocation was difficult to understand, so i did question 2 about imperfect competition and question 4 about about the long run supply determinants.

Paper 2 was the most beautiful gift, as a matter of fact I used to dislike this paper but I must admit this exam was pretty easy. Did question 1 about Letonia and the European Union. And for development economics also did question 4 about Peru.

Before talking about paper 3, I want to say that economics is my favorite subject, actually took the IB just because of economics. But, didn't sleep well the night before the exam so I don't know why I WAS THAT NERVOUS, when I saw the questions I swear I didn't remember anything, think the anxiety blocked me and I didn't know what question to do.

Paper 3 was pretty hard, never saw ever before an exercise like those on past papers. Pitifully, I didn't have time to end the exam and leave empty the second half of question 2. And because I was so stressed out, I think I failed at most of the exercises, but nonetheless I did the procedure well, so hope examiners give me something for that.

Also I have a question, if in my IA I got a 7, and in paper 1 and 2 i did so well to get a 7, how much can the result of paper 3 affect the final grade?? I never expect this to happen, I always think I'll get a rounded 7. Please if someone knows help me.

Que tal!

Sorry to hear about paper 3! :/ I'm sure the grade boundaries will be low for paper 3 as my other 5 classmates who do HL found it really hard. Paper 3 counts as 20% of your final grade. So it's either what makes your 7 or what destroys your 7. Fingers crossed for you dude!!! Suerte

I appeared for Economics HL TZ2.

In paper 1, I attempted Section A (2) monopoly and market failure and Section B (3) about Keynesian mutliplier and unemployment..Hope to get good marks but yes the paper was quite tough compared to its other counterparts.

In paper 2, I attempted Section A (1) about Latvia joining EU and Section B (4) about Peruvian economy..It was comparitively much better than paper 1.

In Paper 3, I attempted question (1) and (2)..personally l never expected such different style of questions but I am most confident and optimistic about scoring high in this paper. 

Overall, for me Economics was a mixed bag and I hope to get somewhere around 6-7 band.  ^_^

Hi everyone, it's now been 24 hours so here we go.

Paper 1 I had TZ2 and did questions 1 and 3. Question 3 was a gift in my opinion, whereas question 1 was difficult

Paper 2 was a gift from above. Did question 2 about the Rupee and question 4 about Peru.

Paper 3 at first thought it was really hard. Definitely was now comparing it to past years.. But then once into it, it got much better! Did questions 2 & 3. 

ALL DONE NOW, good luck in rest of your exams.

That is so scary... I did exactly the same questions for every paper...

Hello there!

Que tal!

Sorry to hear about paper 3! :/ I'm sure the grade boundaries will be low for paper 3 as my other 5 classmates who do HL found it really hard. Paper 3 counts as 20% of your final grade. So it's either what makes your 7 or what destroys your 7. Fingers crossed for you dude!!! Suerte

iHola! Que tal?  ^_^ 

The third paper was indeed so weird... I was NOT prepared for those types of questions  :luffy: ! And just like you I couldn't finish it. You know those 4points questions...

However, just like abrio98 said, I think that the grade boundaries are going to be low.

iSiguamos trabajar! La pelea no esta terminada  :P

Edited by Youss

Well usually I can do Paper 1, and Paper 2 easily, for example in my mocks I got solid sevens in both... And Paper three is usually my worst - having got a 5 in my mock.

This said - when I opened Paper 1 my heart sank - I mean I answered the questions okay, but they were a hell of a lot harder than what I have seen in past papers, and certainly the 2013 specimen papers!!!!!!

The night before paper 2, and 3 i was bricking it, as I was worried that the same thing will happen again, and even worse - to paper 3.... However, when I opened the Paper 2 I was so happy... I answered the questions on Latvia joining the EU, and Peru. When I opened the Paper three my initial thoughts were pretty scared actually when reading question one, as I am really bad at anything on theory of the firm (formulas etc), however questions 2, and 3 were a god send! Well I hope so at least...!

Anyone else find Paper 1 really hard? Especially in comparison with previous papers?

:anyone:

The questions on Paper 1 this year were a lot harder than previous years (I mean, the May 2014 questions were like a blessing)! That being said, Paper 2 was a lot better than I expected - I sighed out loud with relief when I saw the questions. Mixed feelings about paper 3, haha. 

I did questions 2 (monopoly power) and 3 (multiplier, unemployment) for Paper 1, questions 2 and 4 (India and Peru) for Paper 2, and questions 2 and 3 for Paper 3. 

Paper 1 i did 2 and 3, paper 2 i did 1 and 4 and paper 3 i did 1 and 3...

Same! Except for p3, I chose 1 and 2. How was it though??

I personally feel like it was not really hard but I didn't do my best  :mellow:

Paper 1: I think that it is much more difficult than last year, with common access resources and the Keynesian Multiplier on the list. I ended up doing Q2 and 4 though. Despite this I found I have mistakenly put incentives to work as an interventionist policy when answering 4(b)...

Paper 2 was OK, although I struggled a bit in defining interest rate. I did Q2 and 4.

Paper 3: Also much more difficult than last year, never expected such kind of questions. However I was able to answer all the question parts. I did Q2 and 3.

• Like 1

I think that my paper 1 went best! I did numbers 2 and 3. It's usually because our school's really strict so they always made our eco papers hard. This was the easiest paper 1 I've given to date. Paper 2 was okay- I did the questions on the rupee and china and africa trade. I think it was fine. Paper 3 was definitely not what I expected! The past papers I've done are so easy- the change in pattern was a bit weird to me. I did micro and macro (the long run thing in micro took me a while to figure out haha). The macro one was fine but the AD/AS intersection was not at an exact grid point which confused me considering it was only a 1 mark response? For the first time, paper 1 went well and paper 3 was the bottom rung for me. What about you guys?

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found paper 3 tricky!

I'm hoping the grade boundaries will be low for Paper 3.

Paper 2 was really really great. I did Peru and India (super easy) :P

Paper 1 was sort of weird. It wasn't bad but I'm not sure if I wrote enough for the marks allotted. The questions were so specific that I didn't know what to explore further.

• Like 1

i got tz2 and for paper 1 i did question 2 & 3. should've picked question 4 tbh. i think i made some mistakes and missed lots of points when answering q3 :(

for paper 2, i did question 1 & 3. wasn't so bad. but who knows, points might be missed.

paper 3 was woah hahaha confusing. i was so shocked when i saw q1 asi couldnt really understand it but when i saw q2 and 3 i was relieved. 

i really hope they lower the grade boundaries this year. almost everyone who did hl eco said it was tough!

• Like 1

what did you guys write for question 1 (Paper 1)?

The question was regarding Government changing price to reallocate the resources.

I wrote about price controls.

Edited by Swapnil

I found paper 1 horrible :( The invigilator was telling me how during the 5 minute reading time, all the standard level kids looked absolutely delighted while the higher level kids looked devastated.... Hopefully paper 3 and paper 2 will bring my marks up...