English Literature Paper 2 Discussion

Connor Grady

I feel less confident about paper 2 than paper 1, but still think I did decently. For paper 2, I did the Prose question about the closeness/distance of the narrator, and compared Offred from The Handmaid's Tale to Nick Carraway from The Great Gatsby.

Edited by metsfanAJM

Did the first Drama question in TZ2 (characters represent a class/gender/group of people in society) referring to The Importance of Being Earnest and A Streetcar Named Desire. Went pretty blehhhhh- spent far too much time developing one argument so didnt have enough time to present my second one nicely. Wrote 13 pages of good stuff though so hopefully that'll count for something. 

If you did the same question with any of the same texts, lets discuss. 

• Like 1

Did the first Drama question in TZ2 (characters represent a class/gender/group of people in society) referring to The Importance of Being Earnest and A Streetcar Named Desire. Went pretty blehhhhh- spent far too much time developing one argument so didnt have enough time to present my second one nicely. Wrote 13 pages of good stuff though so hopefully that'll count for something. 

woah!! thirteen pages? damn. well i attempted the second question "significant arrivals and departures" i wrote about 7 pages but that was it. my texts were streetcar and look back in anger.

• Like 1

I did the poetry question, the one about symbolism :) Used "Valentine", "Spinster" and "Havisham" to talk about the use of domestic items and unusual objects as both extended metaphors and symbols to represent the speaker's view on love.

I know that people could have easily used like "medusa" and others.

Wrote about 6 pages just pouring my entire soul into it. Still not as much as you guys tho >.<

Edited by Sylvette

Hey, I did the same question with A Streetcar Named Desire and Death of a Salesman.

I did the same :) 13 pages?!?!?!!? I only managed to get 5. I used The Glass Menagerie and Master Harold and the boys. I think I did pretty well. This question fit well to the two texts I am strongest in so overall I think it was good. :)

Edited by bethiedrama101

I did the third question in the novel part, the one about the physical description of characters. The questions in the english A SL tz2 had nothing to do with the novels we took (The awakening, things fall apart, 1984). I just managed to talk about the authors description of winston, julia, and mr charrington in 1984 and the description of okonkwo, the egwugwu, and the white men in things fall apart

the questions were really challenging, i hoped for something along the lines of symbolism or setting which would have been much easier to write on but i think id get a 6 

• Like 1

I was TZ1 and did the Poetry Question about structure - something about how structure enhances the content of 2 poems. I compared "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" - Thomas, with "A Far Cry From Africa" - Walcott. My thesis was that while in Thomas its the maintenance of pattern in form/structure in Walcott it's the breakdown of pattern (variance) that emphasises content. I wrote 6 pages with medium writing, I really don't think more is necessary, it simply becomes a nuisance for the examiner. Its about being concise and precise with your language. Long elaborate descriptions don't really get you anywhere - I think :P would have been nice if i could integrate a third poem but couldn't find any that would be integrated easily into the comparative

We had to answer the novel section. I mentioned three books in order to talk about the importance of a story being told in first or third person. Here I mentioned three novels: "No Country for Old Men", "The Innocent", and "The Wars" as they are old told from different perspectives. No country is first person, The Innocent is third, whilst The Wars is a mix of the two. I think I easily wrote between 8 - 10 pages, not too sure though. I just remember having three answer booklets. Didn't know we could have Streetcar for paper two, I did that for my IOP

woah!! thirteen pages? damn. well i attempted the second question "significant arrivals and departures" i wrote about 7 pages but that was it. my texts were streetcar and look back in anger.

God, now I feel like I didn't write enough, I did 5 pages. I actually found it kind of hard to connect The Importance of Being Earnest to the question in a proper way instead the other text we did (Death of A Salesman) was pretty perfect. But yeah I got out from that exam feeling worse than paper 1

Did you double space? That is crazy!

TZ2 - Drama first questions (individual representing a group and the conflicts that are shown)

I used the texts Death of a Salesman and The Glass Menagerie...

Anyone else use either one/both of these texts?

How many "individuals" did you write about and what conflicts did you mention? 

I did Tom Wingfield for TGM and Willy Loman for DOAS..... although I really regret it and wish I had chosen Biff.... 

Did you double space? That is crazy!

Haha no no, I just write a lot generally. :P Plus the question was perfect for both my texts so I had a lot to write about anyways. 

God, now I feel like I didn't write enough, I did 5 pages. I actually found it kind of hard to connect The Importance of Being Earnest to the question in a proper way instead the other text we did (Death of A Salesman) was pretty perfect. But yeah I got out from that exam feeling worse than paper 1

As long as you covered all your points, the length really doesn't matter! I tend to get carried away sometimes :P 

Importance of being Earnest actually worked pretty well for me. The class/group of people is the Victorian aristocracy and I brought in the conflict by talking about Wilde's own life and how the play is his critique of his own environment. Also how none of the characters fit entirely into their roles in a traditional Victorian Melodrama. 

I did the same question. I'm SL and we had super bad plays in my opnion... but I used King Lear and Death of a Salesman.

How did you write 13 pages??? I wrote like 4...

TZ2 - Drama first questions (individual representing a group and the conflicts that are shown)

I used the texts Death of a Salesman and The Glass Menagerie...

Anyone else use either one/both of these texts?

How many "individuals" did you write about and what conflicts did you mention? 

I did Tom Wingfield for TGM and Willy Loman for DOAS..... although I really regret it and wish I had chosen Biff.... 

I did the same question, but on Streetcar (Blanche) and Glengarry (Levene), I also only wrote about two individuals. How did you structure it? I split the portrayal of the conflict up into three periods or "phases" (immediate portrayal, development of the conflict and climax/resolution) and then went on to compare and contrast the two individuals from the different texts, and conclude with some sense of the writer's purpose for the conflict and symbolic value of the individual (the whole "individual as a symbol for a group" part of the question). Luckily the texts were very very different in their portrayal so I managed to throw in a lot of terms and methods, and both characters had conflicts deeply involved with class, so I solely focused on class conflict in the two individuals. Was very unsure of the answer, but didn't know how else to tackle it coherently.