English Literature Paper 2 Discussion

Connor Grady

^ I talked about tragic heroes and thus used King Lear and his internal conflict (king/father) and Willy Loman and his conflict (father/man trying to reach American Dream or something). I compared them in their situations of crisis (Lear - opening and final scene ; Willy - scene with Wagner and the crisis scene in the restaurant).

Did the first Drama question in TZ2 (characters represent a class/gender/group of people in society) referring to The Importance of Being Earnest and A Streetcar Named Desire. Went pretty blehhhhh- spent far too much time developing one argument so didnt have enough time to present my second one nicely. Wrote 13 pages of good stuff though so hopefully that'll count for something. 

If you did the same question with any of the same texts, lets discuss. 

woah!! thirteen pages? damn. well i attempted the second question "significant arrivals and departures" i wrote about 7 pages but that was it. my texts were streetcar and look back in anger.

God, now I feel like I didn't write enough, I did 5 pages. I actually found it kind of hard to connect The Importance of Being Earnest to the question in a proper way instead the other text we did (Death of A Salesman) was pretty perfect. But yeah I got out from that exam feeling worse than paper 1

As long as you covered all your points, the length really doesn't matter! I tend to get carried away sometimes :P

Importance of being Earnest actually worked pretty well for me. The class/group of people is the Victorian aristocracy and I brought in the conflict by talking about Wilde's own life and how the play is his critique of his own environment. Also how none of the characters fit entirely into their roles in a traditional Victorian Melodrama. 

Yeah for TIOBE I talked about the different classes using Lady B and Jack as they are different classes, but then I also did a contrast between women in society between Lady B (TIOBE) and Linda (DOAS) as they are opposite characters in the societies they live in. I also talked about the use of siblings in order to show the different aspects of society as one is responsible and the other one isn't (or something like this) but at the start I couldn't make any point with TIOBE that was pleasing me so yeah... 

Really it wasn`t that great, I did the drama question of conflict. I counted the plays of Streetcar and DoAs

TZ2 Eng HL 

What were the conflicts? Besides Will and Wagner and Biff 

I only studied DOAS but you could talk about the different classes between Willy and his brother (the diamond guy). The fact that Linda doesn't have a job could show conflicting gender roles. 

TZ2 - Drama first questions (individual representing a group and the conflicts that are shown)

I used the texts Death of a Salesman and The Glass Menagerie...

Anyone else use either one/both of these texts?

How many "individuals" did you write about and what conflicts did you mention? 

I did Tom Wingfield for TGM and Willy Loman for DOAS..... although I really regret it and wish I had chosen Biff.... 

I used TGM but not DOAS even though I studied it. I compared conflict within the play between characters and if conflicts in the other play resembled it. I talked baout the generational conflict between Amanda and her kids, i talked about the difference in gender between the way Tom is treated and the way Laura is treated. I talked about class, Amanda present vs Amanda past. 

I got a question about dramatic features and how they are used to portray relationship dynamics. I've been doing Streetcar Named Desire and Miss Julie so I mentioned staging, entrance of characters and setting as in props used. 

HL here (TZ1) and I did the question on comparing how poets establish and maintain a personal connection with the reader (for poetry, obviously. I think it was question 6...). I really liked the question! I did William Blake versus Elizabeth Bishop (memorized 16 whole poems for this exam... Can't stop won't stop), comparing four specific poems from each against each other that highlight a different method/aspect of the "personal connection." I wouldn't change anything in hindsight, so I'm hoping and wishing for the best!

TZ2 Drama genre, Individual and social groups too. Did it with Othello and Streetcar, I felt like it was OK, probably feeling better than paper 1.

Shaped my essay around the themes of race, gender, social class but:

Othello: with particular focuses on Othello, Iago, Desdemona, Emilia, little bit of Cassio and Iago.

Streetcar: particular focuses on Blanche, Stanley and little bit of Stella.

I did question 3 in the drama section in tz1 about relationships. I used Death of a salesman and Master Harold and the boys. I think i did well on it.

How did you develop your paper? I'm actually really curiouse to see how people attacked this. It was such a vague question you could have written a book on it. If I am not mistaken, it wanted you to describe the relationships, look at the power of persuasion in the play, and compare the means by which the relationships are developed.

I began by talking about the general importance of relationships in plays, (recreating reality) and my general thesis was that a relationships are generally defined or tailored to suit the world of the play and that relationships made the plays I read (Rosencrantz and Guildensterh Are Dead and Topdog Underdog) more interesting.

I then wrote a paragraph about the relationship between two characters Ros. And Guil, describing some things I thought were important about their relationship.

I then discribed the relationship in Topdog comparing it to the Ros and Guil and explaining why I thought it was different. I pretty much started to run out of time trying to describe this really complex relationship. definitely didn't get a perfect score for language since was really hurried at the end.

I pointed out in another paragraph that the two authors say different things about the nature of relationships and talked about why they are at odds.

I don't recall how I wrapped it up. To me this felt like a really bad essay because the descriptions of two really interesting relationships had to be crammed into a paragraph, and then I did a comparison of the relationships which felt completely forced. Plus, it just felt weird because I was doing almost as much summary (albeit summary of analysis) as actual analysis and comparison. Haha I've probably gone on for too long about this, but I hated that question. it was the only one I could do.

I did the third question in the novel part, the one about the physical description of characters. The questions in the english A SL tz2 had nothing to do with the novels we took (The awakening, things fall apart, 1984). I just managed to talk about the authors description of winston, julia, and mr charrington in 1984 and the description of okonkwo, the egwugwu, and the white men in things fall apart

the questions were really challenging, i hoped for something along the lines of symbolism or setting which would have been much easier to write on but i think id get a 6 

Same! I used The awakening and the guide. Man that was crap! I mean, I've already seen much easier prompts than those. May the grade boundaries help us! ^_^

I hoped the same too! Physical description is such an empty subject in terms of the books we studied in that part of the program... I read Things fall part (in my french class though) and I'm sure you did a good job because Achebe actually uses physical descriptions throughout his novel. Narayan on the other hand... Mehh  -_-