Theatre - Research Presentation

gracestanton

hello!

I am an ib theatre student and we have been working on our research presentations. because it is new to the syllabus i am struggling to find help online. Anybody else out there struggling?? Let's help each other through this!!

I chose to focus on Kathakali and specifically the Mudras. For the moment of theatre part of the presentation I am really struggling. I dont know how to choreograph my own piece and i have been advised not to simply copy a video because i'll lose marks in why i chose it. Does anyone have any good sources or some advice? Thank you! 

• Like 1

what i know about kathakali is extremely limited and also i'm doing the theatre syllabus before your one so we had a different task

in kathakali, each movement has a different meaning so i guess you would research the meanings of different movements and work out a story you want to tell and then work out how to tell that story through each movement? that's my guess but i'm not familiar with kathakali or this assesment so i don't know if that was any help

• 2 weeks later...

Since it's the new syllabus it's kind of difficult to know how a highly scored research presentation would look like. I chose Thai Khon Dance and for the Moment of Theatre, I grabbed the key essential movements of the numorous characters from the battle scene and explained the meaning behind each of the movements. It didn't quite exactly tell the story but I think it may depend on the convention of theatre you chose. Instead, the moment of theatre explained the interaction and role of the characters of the story.

I limited my moment of theatre to less than five minutes, including the explanation of it.

I don't know, maybe look over the criteria in the guide book again.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey, even I've been working on theatre research presentation and I've selected noh theatre and Im having a lot of difficulties on the convention part, I don't understand what i have to do in convention part so can anybody please clear it out to me, it would be a great help! thanks :)