pencil used in exam

ibtiredaf

I'm freaking out so badly. I just finished my bio paper 3 and right after the teacher told us the time was over, I realized I had done the whole thing in pencil. I don't even know why. I'm usually so prepared and making this mistake is just.. i don't know. I looked up using pencil in the exams and saw that the papers are scanned and sent to IB examiners so if they can read my pencil scans will it be ok? Will I get marks? I really need a good grade in this since my bio grades are already not so good. Please help :'((((

Sorry :/ I think it depends.. My teacher told us that the exams that are not multiple choice, have to be made in pen because that's what the machine recognizes and not pencil. Same for if you do it in pencil on multiple choice, they scan it special for the pencil. I hope it works for you though since that would be a shame otherwise. 

Also, the rule is mostly made for preventing people from changing your answers, and since I wouldn't know how the scanning works, I think that if you wrote your answers visibly and not with a pencil that is too soft, that you will be fine. 

from what i've been told writing in pencil indicts that your answer is not the final one, but merely just rough work which the examiner can ignore. however, i'm not too sure about this. PLEASE APPROACH YOUR IB COORDINATOR ASAP!! you could be in some serious trouble. 

Do you know if the exams have already been sent? I advise you approach your coordinator as soon as possible. The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine on paper 2 and our coordinator was able to remark the answers on pen. 

Edited by Cristina_

I have spoken to my IB coordinator (who's also a bio teacher) about this before and she said you are supposed to use pen, it is expected from IB that you do. However, the reason they do that is because when they scan your answers, pen is read better than pencil (it doesn't always scan properly with pencil). 

So I would do as everyone above has suggested, to go to your IB coordinator and talk to them about your situation. But also tell them how dark you wrote, if you can remember, because if you wrote dark enough and without smudges, the scanning still might work properly.