What are we actually meant to be doing in French?

So it's already been 2 terms and all we've done so far is vocab about various issues (e.g. francophone countries, reality tv etc...)

In terms of our final exams, what are we actually expected to know?? Because our teacher thinks we're fluent so I don't know if we're learning the stuff we're meant to!

The tenses we know so far are:

present, 

passé composé

imparfait

subjunctive

future

conditional

Thanks for any replies in advance, any reply would really help!!!

Edited by vladimir mykraine

Well for the past two terms, all my class has done is review vocab from each topic. We've done one test so far, a full length practice paper 1 over the course of two lessons. 

We've done pretty much the same thing as you in class, so I am guessing you are on the right track. I think for the final exams all we really need to know is the vocab for each topic and the tenses (Have you looked at the plus-que-parfait yet?) as well as grammar. I'd recommend looking at the topics in the syllabus and developing and reviewing your vocab for each one outside school.

• Like 1

Well for the past two terms, all my class has done is review vocab from each topic. We've done one test so far, a full length practice paper 1 over the course of two lessons. 

We've done pretty much the same thing as you in class, so I am guessing you are on the right track. I think for the final exams all we really need to know is the vocab for each topic and the tenses (Have you looked at the plus-que-parfait yet?) as well as grammar. I'd recommend looking at the topics in the syllabus and developing and reviewing your vocab for each one outside school.

Hmm no we haven't looked at the plus-que-parfait, so thanks heaps for mentioning it, i'll go and look it up now! :)

And with the vocab we're doing, what will the final topic be? For example, we did francophonie, so does that mean the exam comprehension will be on that, or do we find out later?

So far in grade 11, all we've done is read French novels and plays. French is treated like a joke here, and I'm honestly worried about French exams next year.

I'm sure schools make sure you know all the tenses needed (which aren't even very many, I thought we'd be focusing a lot more on grammar) but I think vocab can get neglected and so can exam strategy, which is why this website is v. helpful. 

So far in grade 11, all we've done is read French novels and plays. French is treated like a joke here, and I'm honestly worried about French exams next year.

Let's be honest though, IB French is a joke for Canadians. Particularly for those who were in French Immersion. We learnt all the tenses we needed to know in like, Gr. 8 or Gr. 9, depending on how advanced your school was. Take a glance at old Paper 1s and Paper 2s and you'll see what I mean. As long as you did pretty well in Gr. 8- Gr. 10 French and keep on working in Gr. 11/12 you'll have no problems so long as you memorize the formats.

• Like 1