Philosophy Paper 1 Higher Level/Standard Level

sophiaspitz

Hey all! It's been over 24 hours since we've done paper 1 of Philosophy (yikes). How did everyone find it? Section A was great with regards to the photograph of the twins! What did you guys do for Section B? I had ethics and political philosophy. I found ethics to be a little bit tricky, whilst breezed through political philosophy. 

Good luck everyone :)

• Like 1

I found section A to be really great! Actually very similar to November 2009 image. So I did question 2 about the picture. For section B I had epistemology and the question was a gift because it was about evaluating the use of experience in the construction of knowledge regarding empirism. Ethics I also found it kind of tricky but did the second question. I hope I did really well because overall I think this have been the prettiest philosophy exams, meaning that you have so many to talked about and refuse it at the same time for make a great evaluation.

I found section A to be really great! Actually very similar to November 2009 image. So I did question 2 about the picture. For section B I had epistemology and the question was a gift because it was about evaluating the use of experience in the construction of knowledge regarding empirism. Ethics I also found it kind of tricky but did the second question. I hope I did really well because overall I think this have been the prettiest philosophy exams, meaning that you have so many to talked about and refuse it at the same time for make a great evaluation.

I also did the twins question and was so grateful for it, then I did Philosophy of Religion which was a great question and Ethics which I also found a little difficult, not sure if I misinterpreted it! I was so exhausted by the end!

Glad I wasn't the only one who found ethics tricky then! Which theories did you use for the Twins? I went into Descartes' Self (Cogito Ergo Sum, etc)., then counter argued it with the different physicalism; identity theory, eliminative materialism, and biological naturalism. Which theories did you use for number 8 on autonomy? I mentioned Kant, Utilitarianism, and different determinisms.

How did you find paper 2 and 3? Paper 2 went into Plato's tri-part soul, and in Paper 3 spoke a lot about de Beauvoir :) 

For Paper 1 on the core theme, I chose the text and wrote about the human condition, so I think it went well. I did political philosophy and although it was worded weirdly, I found it fairly straightforward (I did the second question on social contract theory, etc.) 

The other option we had was Contemporary Social Issues and the IB totally messed it up. The questions didn't even relate to the syllabus so it was really rough. My philosophy teacher has written to the IB about it. So I hope it went well! 

As for paper 2 & 3, I did the Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu and it was really good. Paper 3 was so easy and I enjoyed it - talked about Nietzsche, Frankl, and somebody else (I forget). 

For Paper 1 on the core theme, I chose the text and wrote about the human condition, so I think it went well. I did political philosophy and although it was worded weirdly, I found it fairly straightforward (I did the second question on social contract theory, etc.) 

The other option we had was Contemporary Social Issues and the IB totally messed it up. The questions didn't even relate to the syllabus so it was really rough. My philosophy teacher has written to the IB about it. So I hope it went well! 

As for paper 2 & 3, I did the Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu and it was really good. Paper 3 was so easy and I enjoyed it - talked about Nietzsche, Frankl, and somebody else (I forget). 

I didn'y understood quite well what the text said in Paper 1. For paper 2 all my classmates did the question about Plato's tri-part soul, However, I did Charles Taylor's The Ethics of Authenticity, which for me was a gift. I think I did really well. 

On paper 3 I didn't expect the unknown text to be like an interview, but I enjoiyed it. I also talked about Nietzche, Plato, espisthemology, do not remember well. Actually, I think I had a lot of arguments to relate with my experience of doing philosophy during the course. 

I hope I did well :)