Biology SL paper 1 and paper 2

ysfcll

I would say c) to select which molecules pass across a membrane , because protein pumps are highly specific to each molecule. (e.g. the Na+/K+ pump)

a) I would say this is incorrect, as protein pumps are needed to transport molecules against the gradient

b) is incorrect, protein pumps consume ATP, rather than produce it. 

d) is incorrect as you say, facilitated diffusion involves channel proteins. 

• Like 1

For Section B question 7 about the pumping of the blood in the heart etc.  is it wrong to talk about stuff like the pacemaker the SA and AV nodes and how the heartbeat is regulated??

Wasn't it HL? I chose this question as well and I was talking about same things like the action of the heart is myogenic and how the blood flows from the atrium to ventricle through SA and AV

Um I dont know about HL but I had that on my SL exam!! :) It was part (b) we were supposed to draw and label a heart etc. for part (a). OK! Thats such a relief because lots of people were telling me they wrote about the pumping of blood in terms of the valves and stuff like that (atria and ventricles etc) and I felt like i completely misunderstood the question because I went on about the pacemaker and controlling the heart rate and I even added stuff like how adrenaline and exercise affect it so I was pretty worried. But thanks!! 

For Section B question 7 about the pumping of the blood in the heart etc.  is it wrong to talk about stuff like the pacemaker the SA and AV nodes and how the heartbeat is regulated??

Wasn't it HL? I chose this question as well and I was talking about same things like the action of the heart is myogenic and how the blood flows from the atrium to ventricle through SA and AV

Um I dont know about HL but I had that on my SL exam!! :) It was part (b) we were supposed to draw and label a heart etc. for part (a). OK! Thats such a relief because lots of people were telling me they wrote about the pumping of blood in terms of the valves and stuff like that (atria and ventricles etc) and I felt like i completely misunderstood the question because I went on about the pacemaker and controlling the heart rate and I even added stuff like how adrenaline and exercise affect it so I was pretty worried. But thanks!! 

well seems like the same question was for HL and SL. Anyway, i believe that if you added how the hormone adrenaline controls the heart beat, it will be taken as a plus

well seems like the same question was for HL and SL. Anyway, i believe that if you added how the hormone adrenaline controls the heart beat, it will be taken as a plus

That's strange, I always thought SL and HL had different questions but oh well ;) Really? That makes me feel so much better haha :P Thanks :) I hope it went well for you!!   :)

Edited by IBFreaked

That's strange, I always thought SL and HL had different questions but oh well ;) Really? That makes me feel so much better haha :P Thanks :) I hope it went well for you!!   :)

the part c from this question in HL was about nephron and how it changes the composition of the blood. so i also write some additional stuff like the  proximal convoluted tubule is the longest part etc. We gotta believe that the additional knowledge shud be taken as a sophisticated knowledge, no :P?

and well, i found p1 pretty hard and so im kinda scared of my final grade :S

For Section B question 7 about the pumping of the blood in the heart etc. is it wrong to talk about stuff like the pacemaker the SA and AV nodes and how the heartbeat is regulated??

That's strange, I always thought SL and HL had different questions but oh well ;) Really? That makes me feel so much better haha :P Thanks :) I hope it went well for you!! :)

the part c from this question in HL was about nephron and how it changes the composition of the blood. so i also write some additional stuff like the proximal convoluted tubule is the longest part etc. We gotta believe that the additional knowledge shud be taken as a sophisticated knowledge, no :P?

Wow... Nephron? I have no idea what that is Ahah! Our part c was regarding communication between neurones and stuff. Hahhaa I would like to believe that additional knowledge would be seen as an advantage! My paper 1 didn't go great either so I hope the best for both of us :)!

For Section B question 7 about the pumping of the blood in the heart etc. is it wrong to talk about stuff like the pacemaker the SA and AV nodes and how the heartbeat is regulated??

That's strange, I always thought SL and HL had different questions but oh well ;) Really? That makes me feel so much better haha :P Thanks :) I hope it went well for you!! :)
the part c from this question in HL was about nephron and how it changes the composition of the blood. so i also write some additional stuff like the proximal convoluted tubule is the longest part etc. We gotta believe that the additional knowledge shud be taken as a sophisticated knowledge, no :P?

Wow... Nephron? I have no idea what that is Ahah! Our part c was regarding communication between neurones and stuff. Hahhaa I would like to believe that additional knowledge would be seen as an advantage! My paper 1 didn't go great either so I hope the best for both of us :)!

Well that's a kidney my dear :) haha. You had tz2?

Oh dear grade boundaries, I see you falling <3

Well that's a kidney my dear :) haha. You had tz2?

Oh dear grade boundaries, I see you falling <3

Haha :P yeah I had TZ2 and I'm assuming you did too? Ah! Grade boundaries ... My last hope ;)

To be honest, I dont really know which TZ I did :D But in P1,  the 1st question was "which one is polysaccharide" and 3rd question was about ordering from smallest to the largest. So you guys may help me to figure out which TZ i did. 

In P2 section B, I did the question 6 which was basicly about meiosis and cloning etc. ( I still dont know why the hell I chose this :angry:,  drawing the stages consumed my all the time :angry:

Thats TZ2! What was the answer for the cell size question?

To be honest, I dont really know which TZ I did :D But in P1,  the 1st question was "which one is polysaccharide" and 3rd question was about ordering from smallest to the largest. So you guys may help me to figure out which TZ i did. 

In P2 section B, I did the question 6 which was basicly about meiosis and cloning etc. ( I still dont know why the hell I chose this :angry:,  drawing the stages consumed my all the time :angry:

membrane < virus < bacteria

• Like 1

yep that was the answer. What did you guys do the question about karyotyping or sth like ? The option C) was Chorionic villus and option D)was  hair or sth like that.

yep that was the answer. What did you guys do the question about karyotyping or sth like ? The option C) was Chorionic villus and option D)was  hair or sth like that.

I chose Chorionic villus, cause it was either that or amniocentesis, which wasnt an option... 

I almost skipped over that, at first i only wrote the names, then i re-read the question and also wrote their functions.

Weren't we only supposed to mention their functions?

Are you 100% sure ? I did chorionic villus as well but.. my teacher said the answer is D due to the fact that word "root" but idk i was kinda 100% sure about this but now i am confused. He can be confused as well.. I hope that the answer is chorionic villus cuz otherwise i will have 3 wrong answers :/

BTW, I guess I only wrote their names :P I might skipped that over but I suppose I only lost 1 mark for that.. 

I almost skipped over that, at first i only wrote the names, then i re-read the question and also wrote their functions.

Are you 100% sure ? I did chorionic villus as well but.. my teacher said the answer is D due to the fact that word "root" but idk i was kinda 100% sure about this but now i am confused. He can be confused as well.. I hope that the answer is chorionic villus cuz otherwise i will have 3 wrong answers :/

BTW, I guess I only wrote their names :P I might skipped that over but I suppose I only lost 1 mark for that.. 

Yeah, I am positive ;) Yeah, hopefully I dont lose too many points on that if I answered it incorrectly... Didn't like the data based questions though, so just praying the grade boundaries are in my favour.... 

Yeah, I am positive ;) Yeah, hopefully I dont lose too many points on that if I answered it incorrectly... Didn't like the data based questions though, so just praying the grade boundaries are in my favour.... 

I hope so! Do you know how do they calculate our final grade which is out of 100 ? I mean is it possible to calculate in different ways for each candidate? OR is it always calculated in the same way for everybody?

I hope so! Do you know how do they calculate our final grade which is out of 100 ? I mean is it possible to calculate in different ways for each candidate? OR is it always calculated in the same way for everybody?

Since our component grade is made out of the IA (24%), P1 (20%), P2 (32%) and P3 (24%), I suppose they take the percentages..

Lets say these are your grades: IA (40/48), P1 (27/30), P2 (35/50), P3 (30/36) you would calculate it like this:

0.24(40/48) + 0.20(27/30) + 0.32(35/50) + 0.24(30/36) = 0.804 x 100 = 80.4%, which from last years boundaries would result in a weak 7....

I did good in paper 1, paper 2 not so much especially section B I'm so stupid I wrote about cloning for reproduction instead of cloning for therapeutic use !!!! And my meiosis explanation was so bad!!! Also the data analysis was bad so basically yeah all **** except the ecology part

TZ1 Paper 1.

There was a question about water as a coolant. The options were:

a) takes a lot of energy to increase temperature of water

b) takes a lot of energy to evaporate

c) 

d)

I was wondering which answer you guys chose?