Biology HL Papers 1 and 2

Baller97

yeah exactly paper 2 section A was just an euphoria for me after the awful paper 1 :D.

and

Also on paper 1, there was a question about the y-chromosome, what did you guys answer on that? And the micrograph pic on the testis it was SO UNCLEAR!! What did you pick for that?

For the y-chromosome I said it had genes that the X chromosome didnt (which are the genes that make you a man so I am pretty sure about that)... and then for the testis thing I said they were interstitial cells because they were in between the cells and not inside them.

I wrote the same thing!! What did you take on the question with free ribosomes? I don´t remember the question but it was something about free ribosomes? I wrote cytoplasm :) Also the two table question, with CO2 what did you pick? I said that it shows variation, because I don´t think you could claim that global warming was due to only the small differences in CO2 Concentration. O.o

For the free ribosomes and where the proteins created by them are used... i said the nucleus but i wasnt sure between that and the cytoplasm... i probably changed it like 5 times :P for the CO2 question I gave the same answer... :)

what did you write was the name of the process of the DNA thingi? I wasn´t sure if they wanted the answer DNA Profiling or Gel electrophoresis? (I wrote both) 

And also for the function of pili? I wrote cell to cell communication and adhesion. Wasn´t sure if cell to cell comunication is correct :D Also (sorry for so many questions :P) what did you get for magnification? I think I got x 15 000 :)

I just put electrophoresis... i dont think that should be a problem...

I wrote exactly the same thing for the pilli so I hope its correct :)

and for the magnification i got X2,000 and seemed pretty realistic... so yeah :)

How did you get 2000? the scale bar was 1 micrometer and I measured the scale bar it was 15 mm I think, so I converted that to micrometer and divided with 1 O.o I´m unsure if that was correct :S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h5IFY-PYRw This guy says the same thing, but still unsure :D

well the p2 section A was like euphoria for me :D

i also put the electrophoresis and the function for phili i wrote ' joins cells together'

yeah the q for the y chromosome it was a bit difficult or the one with the cancer in Poland. actually i couldnt find the answer so i got 68% ahah

and with the CO2 i chose that one place is more affected than the otehr.

What have you chosen for the graph with the antibodies or so?- there were answet about HIV and the peak of infection

I took second boost shoot O.o But don´t know if it was right. O.o what did you take on the gentic quesion about cats. I took A but I dont know what the answer was for that :D 

Also on paper 1, there was a question about the y-chromosome, what did you guys answer on that? And the micrograph pic on the testis it was SO UNCLEAR!! What did you pick for that?

For the y-chromosome I said it had genes that the X chromosome didnt (which are the genes that make you a man so I am pretty sure about that)... and then for the testis thing I said they were interstitial cells because they were in between the cells and not inside them.

I wrote the same thing!! What did you take on the question with free ribosomes? I don´t remember the question but it was something about free ribosomes? I wrote cytoplasm :) Also the two table question, with CO2 what did you pick? I said that it shows variation, because I don´t think you could claim that global warming was due to only the small differences in CO2 Concentration. O.o

For the free ribosomes and where the proteins created by them are used... i said the nucleus but i wasnt sure between that and the cytoplasm... i probably changed it like 5 times :P for the CO2 question I gave the same answer... :)

what did you write was the name of the process of the DNA thingi? I wasn´t sure if they wanted the answer DNA Profiling or Gel electrophoresis? (I wrote both) 

And also for the function of pili? I wrote cell to cell communication and adhesion. Wasn´t sure if cell to cell comunication is correct :D Also (sorry for so many questions :P) what did you get for magnification? I think I got x 15 000 :)

and for the magnification i got X2,000 and seemed pretty realistic... so yeah :)

No I checked it and it was DNA profiling

And for the magnification I just used the small formulae they show in chapter 2 the magnification= size of image/actual size of object (1µm) and I got 8000

Hey there! I did TZ0 wich is the same as TZ2... I found paper 1 great, but paper 2 was insane! The first graphic was difficult to interpret and the questions in general were so ambiguous. I did question 5 in section B... What were we suposed to answer about the DNA???

PD: sorry if there's any mistake, I'm from Spain 😀

Hey there! I did TZ0 wich is the same as TZ2... I found paper 1 great, but paper 2 was insane! The first graphic was difficult to interpret and the questions in general were so ambiguous. I did question 5 in section B... What were we suposed to answer about the DNA???

PD: sorry if there's any mistake, I'm from Spain

i said about dna being packed around histone and h1 linker. and that pro have a naked dna 

And for the magnification I just used the small formulae they show in chapter 2 the magnification= size of image/actual size of object (1µm) and I got 8000

I am pretty certain it asked for the process involved in creating the particular DNA profile. The question was a little ambiguous but the fact it mentioned process, would lead to the answer being electrophoresis, due to the fact DNA profiling isn't a specified "process". But that was my thought. 

Tz2: last question on section A about the ratio. 9:3:3:1? And what did you write for the question like how does the phenotype change or something like that, in the cats ear thingy

Lol yeah 9:3:3:1. I said since the curled ears are dominant, they will be more common and show as a characteristic, etc. Something like that haha.

I am pretty certain it asked for the process involved in creating the particular DNA profile. The question was a little ambiguous but the fact it mentioned process, would lead to the answer being electrophoresis, due to the fact DNA profiling isn't a specified "process". But that was my thought. 

Yeah, it said "process" so shouldn't the answer be gel electrophoresis? 

I'm also HL in TZ1. Overall I thought paper 1 was okay but there were definitely a few questions that tripped me up like the kidney ones. Paper 2, I screwed up the plants section but I think I did well enough on the free response (I chose 4 and 5) to counteract it. Overall, it wasn't great but it could have been worse.

Edited by metsfanAJM

For TZ1 paper 2 HL I don't remember what essay question it was but it asked to discuss the consequences of overproduction of offsprings did anyone answer that one?

You could have talked bout the carrying capacity and all that :)

Anyone who did essay (5)? What were the points you mentioned in part (a) and (b)? 

Eh ana jawabit question 5 :)

Part b was tricky ya?

What point did you mention in a and b?

Eh :P a kan 3an il nucleosomes right? Eh I just said it's structure.. then in b i wrote about the genetic variety by crossing over and stuff

I'd say that paper 1 wasn't the easiest one. Some of the questions were kinda random and if I haven't done some past papers I wouldn't even have a clue what they were asking about.

Paper 2 was kinda ridiculous. It did not require almost any knowledge (except for the Section B ofc) and the data analysis questions weren't the best ones either. I did question 6 and 8 in Section B if I'm not mistaken.

But still I am hoping for a 7.