Biology HL Papers 1 and 2

Baller97

For Paper 1, the ribosomes question's answer is used outside the cell, the question with CO2 was A I think. For Paper 2, I found it a bit difficult. Data questions were hard, and magnification was 15000x, I probably chose the toughest combination of Section B which was 7 and 8, but I think I did pretty well. The DNA thing is Gel Electrophoresis. 

Also on paper 1, there was a question about the y-chromosome, what did you guys answer on that? And the micrograph pic on the testis it was SO UNCLEAR!! What did you pick for that?

For the y-chromosome I said it had genes that the X chromosome didnt (which are the genes that make you a man so I am pretty sure about that)... and then for the testis thing I said they were interstitial cells because they were in between the cells and not inside them.

I wrote the same thing!! What did you take on the question with free ribosomes? I don´t remember the question but it was something about free ribosomes? I wrote cytoplasm :) Also the two table question, with CO2 what did you pick? I said that it shows variation, because I don´t think you could claim that global warming was due to only the small differences in CO2 Concentration. O.o

For the free ribosomes and where the proteins created by them are used... i said the nucleus but i wasnt sure between that and the cytoplasm... i probably changed it like 5 times :P for the CO2 question I gave the same answer... :)

what did you write was the name of the process of the DNA thingi? I wasn´t sure if they wanted the answer DNA Profiling or Gel electrophoresis? (I wrote both) 

And also for the function of pili? I wrote cell to cell communication and adhesion. Wasn´t sure if cell to cell comunication is correct :D Also (sorry for so many questions :P) what did you get for magnification? I think I got x 15 000 :)

I just put electrophoresis... i dont think that should be a problem...

I wrote exactly the same thing for the pilli so I hope its correct :)

and for the magnification i got X2,000 and seemed pretty realistic... so yeah :)

How did you get 2000? the scale bar was 1 micrometer and I measured the scale bar it was 15 mm I think, so I converted that to micrometer and divided with 1 O.o I´m unsure if that was correct :S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h5IFY-PYRw This guy says the same thing, but still unsure :D

Oh damn you might be right... what i did was that i got the length of the bacteria in the picture which was exactly 30mm, divided that by 15mm and got 2mm. Then I divided 2mm by the 1micrometer and got 2,000. i really dont know but  i guess the good thing is it was only 1 mark :D

The answer is 15000x for the magnification....

For Paper 1, the ribosomes question's answer is used outside the cell, the question with CO2 was A I think. For Paper 2, I found it a bit difficult. Data questions were hard, and magnification was 15000x, I probably chose the toughest combination of Section B which was 7 and 8, but I think I did pretty well. The DNA thing is Gel Electrophoresis

Awww I did all of those correctly. So happy :D I wasn't sure about 15000x because it seemed like a lot.

For Paper 1, the ribosomes question's answer is used outside the cell, the question with CO2 was A I think. For Paper 2, I found it a bit difficult. Data questions were hard, and magnification was 15000x, I probably chose the toughest combination of Section B which was 7 and 8, but I think I did pretty well. The DNA thing is Gel Electrophoresis

Awww I did all of those correctly. So happy :D I wasn't sure about 15000x because it seemed like a lot.

YEEEES! ONE POINT :D :D But I don´t think the ribosome question was outside the cell, because the proteins synthesised by Rough ER is used outside the cell or in lysosomes :/ 

YEEEES! ONE POINT :D :D But I don´t think the ribosome question was outside the cell, because the proteins synthesised by Rough ER is used outside the cell or in lysosomes :/ 

I remember the question was , Where are proteins, synthesized by free ribosomes used? So it's asking where are the proteins used, and surely they are used outside the cell.......

I remember the question was , Where are proteins, synthesized by free ribosomes used? So it's asking where are the proteins used, and surely they are used outside the cell.......

Free ribosomes synthesise proteins for use within the cell (such as for membrane proteins in the cell, internally used enzymes etc etc) and bound ribosomes synthesise proteins for use outside the cell or for the creation of lysosomes (within)

Free ribosomes synthesise proteins for use within the cell (such as for membrane proteins in the cell, internally used enzymes etc etc) and bound ribosomes synthesise proteins for use outside the cell or for the creation of lysosomes (within)

What answer did you pick? :) 

I found paper 1 quite easy, like I've done much harder ones! As for paper 2.... i didn't like paper 2. They asked about 25% of the syllabus and there were topics that were even mentioned at all!! Like classification of species

What answer did you pick? :)

Well the specific answer would be cytosol, but the only offer was cytoplasm, which is the only one it could have been. The others were something like nucleus and another specific organelle I think, and outside.

I found paper 1 quite easy, like I've done much harder ones! As for paper 2.... i didn't like paper 2. They asked about 25% of the syllabus and there were topics that were even mentioned at all!! Like classification of species

Yeah I agree with that. I mean paper 1 was much easier than past papers ranging back to 2006/5. But there were quite a few ambiguous questions or ones trying to trick you. There was a question which referred to a "long-day dicotyledonous plant" and asked about its growth in height and I know a lot of the people in my class ticked the box for Pfr (flowering) and not auxins (height growth) because of the whole "long-day" part, and the atmospheric CO2 concentration one was extremely ambiguous. The whole "only a small section of the syllabus" was a shame in in paper 2. They missed out so much stuff, it really wasn't a balanced test, but I found the same in paper 3. But then again there is no way they can fit it all in during a small test.

What did you pick for the Mendels law question? B and D differed only with one word, something with same genes or different genes. :o

I picked B, and my friend told me it was the correct option, what did you pick? 

Don´t know which one it was but I picked the one saying "same genes" 

What did you pick for the Mendels law question? B and D differed only with one word, something with same genes or different genes. :o

Unfortunately, I think that one is wrong..:( , hmmm google says this " Alleles of different genes always assort independently if the genes. " 

Unfortunately, I think that one is wrong.. :( , hmmm google says this " Alleles of different genes always assort independently if the genes. " 

Damn it! 

Unfortunately, I think that one is wrong.. :( , hmmm google says this " Alleles of different genes always assort independently if the genes. " 

Damn it! 

How are you going on with Chemistry HL? 

Damn it! 

Well I´m revising at the moment :D What about you? 

I did TZ0 for HL, and I found that Paper 1 was overall much easier than the past papers I'd done in revision for the exams. That being said, I fell for the long-day dicot plant trap and answered Pfr because of that even though my mind was screaming auxin at me, and I really am not sure about the Mendel's law question cos I said 9:3:3:1 but I get the feeling that that's referring to just dihybrid crosses.. Paper 2 had a pretty confusing data analysis question (since when does increasing levels of sea ice and Adélie penguin colonies growing larger in size = global warming?) and I forgot what ligase and RNA polymerase III were, but overall Section A was OK. Section B - questions 6 and 8- went good for me aside from that my heart diagram was pretty bad artistically, which I'm scared might lose me marks if they can't discern which part/vessel is which, and the fact that I wasn't sure what 8© was asking for so I stupidly left it blank.

Damn it! 

Well I´m revising at the moment :D What about you? 

Also revising, I am focusing on Math also, both are next week, this is review useful for Chem: 

http://fc.sjsd.net/~gjohnson/FOV1-000437CE/FOV1-00057585/Chem%20Review%20Total%20Small.pdf?Plugin=Loft

I fell for the long-day dicot plant trap and answered Pfr because of that even though my mind was screaming auxin at me, and I really am not sure about the Mendel's law question cos I said 9:3:3:1 but I get the feeling that that's referring to just dihybrid crosses...

Same as me hahaha.

Well I'm hoping that they were lower the grade boundaries. Btw, I've heard that physics was fuc.ed up and so I'm kinda scared that chem HL will be :S