Biology HL Papers 1 and 2

Baller97

I fell for the long-day dicot plant trap and answered Pfr because of that even though my mind was screaming auxin at me, and I really am not sure about the Mendel's law question cos I said 9:3:3:1 but I get the feeling that that's referring to just dihybrid crosses...

Same as me hahaha.

Well I'm hoping that they were lower the grade boundaries. Btw, I've heard that physics was fuc.ed up and so I'm kinda scared that chem HL will be :S

I think it was 9:3:3:1 beause both were heterozygo :D I´m scared of Chem too. I´m praying for organic to come. 

But do u mean the p1?

I'm freaking out cuz the sciences are the last examination session for the old program. I did the p2 from chem TZ2 and well there wasn't anything about organic in section A so... Hopefully :)!

Edited by gabugie

But do u mean the p1?

I'm freaking out cuz the sciences are the last examination session for the old program. I did the p2 from chem TZ2 and well there wasn't anything about organic in section A so... Hopefully :)!

Oh sorry, no I read wrong :D 9:3:3:1 was on P2 :P 

Yeah that was for p2 as well.

Seriously paper 2 is my hope for gettin a 6.

Btw do you know how is the final grade calculate. I know that each paper has its own value but the calculation of the final is like a perplexed action for me.

Btw do you know how is the final grade calculate. I know that each paper has its own value but the calculation of the final is like a perplexed action for me.

the biology course is total 200 marks, so 2 marks = 1 %. :) And it´s like that in all papers. :) 

Yeah I have this book :D but thanks . God I´m not looking forward to math... :S what are you gonna study after ib?

I wish the math questions will be easy, I am planning to study medicine, what about you? 

Same here! I hope for easy questions as well for math  ^_^

Yeah I have this book :D but thanks . God I´m not looking forward to math... :S what are you gonna study after ib?

I wish the math questions will be easy, I am planning to study medicine, what about you? 

Same here! I hope for easy questions as well for math  ^_^

Where are you planning to study medicine? 

I thought paper 1 was pretty hard, but paper 2 was really easy. Especially section A for paper 2, I loved every single question on it (except the data question but I never like the data questions). Seriously though all the knowledge-based questions for section A went so smoothly, I couldn't have made it better myself. The only one I didn't get was the magnification question, but that was just one point so oh well.

I did 5 and 6 for Section B. I messed up on 5a though, because I forgot what nucleosomes were :P and for the nephron question in 6, I wrote about how it changes the contents of urine... I wasn't sure how that affects blood, but I just said because urine is then excreted it affects the blood as well :P hahah that was kind of a guess, but I loved paper 2 overall

Biology SL Paper 1 TZ1

I took the course Biology SL last year (may 2014 session) but i took the SL exam May 2015 session after one year removed from the class.

That being said, I felt like paper 1 was a joke.

However one question is bothering me. It went something like this

Which of the following hormones in a female drops/reaches a low right before menstrual bleeding occurs?

1. FSH

2. LH

3. progesterone

4. estrogen

Which is it?

Biology SL Paper 1 TZ1

I took the course Biology SL last year (may 2014 session) but i took the SL exam May 2015 session after one year removed from the class.

Which of the following hormones in a female drops/reaches a low right before menstrual bleeding occurs?

1. FSH

2. LH

3. progesterone

4. estrogen

Which is it?

Progesterone - it's levels stay high if the egg is fertilised and implants, if not they fall, and it leads to the menstrual bleeding.

Biology SL Paper 1 TZ1

1. FSH

2. LH

3. progesterone

4. estrogen

Which is it?

Progesterone - it's levels stay high if the egg is fertilised and implants, if not they fall, and it leads to the menstrual bleeding.

Yes! that's what I put!

I'm currently out of town for science fair but my friend texted me saying that my teacher is telling her classes that its estrogen? Why would she think that, is it a possibility?

Biology SL Paper 1 TZ1

1. FSH

2. LH

3. progesterone

4. estrogen

Which is it?

Yes! that's what I put!

I'm currently out of town for science fair but my friend texted me saying that my teacher is telling her classes that its estrogen? Why would she think that, is it a possibility?

I don't think so, progesterone is directly involved in the thickening and maintenance of the endometrium preparing for a child (during the luteal stage), whereas estrogen is repairing the endometrium after menstruation for the following cycle (during the follicular stage). It's progesterones drop that causes the endometrium to be "expelled" and thus the bleeding. Whilst estrogen is involved in the repairing, I don't think it is directly estrogen's drop that causes the bleeding. Honestly, I think you're right, I wouldn't worry. Perhaps they explained the question incorrectly to her? Also estrogen levels do also drop at the same time, but that is due to the lack of mature follicles and the loss of the corpus luteum, so maybe that is why people are suggesting estrogen, but then they increase due to FSH levels? But as you have put it, it's gotta be progesterone.

Biology SL Paper 1 TZ1

1. FSH

2. LH

3. progesterone

4. estrogen

Which is it?

Yes! that's what I put!

I don't think so, progesterone is directly involved in the thickening and maintenance of the endometrium preparing for a child (during the luteal stage), whereas estrogen is repairing the endometrium after menstruation for the following cycle (during the follicular stage). It's progesterones drop that causes the endometrium to be "expelled" and thus the bleeding. Whilst estrogen is involved in the repairing, I don't think it is directly estrogen's drop that causes the bleeding. Honestly, I think you're right, I wouldn't worry. Perhaps they explained the question incorrectly to her? Also estrogen levels do also drop at the same time, but that is due to the lack of mature follicles and the loss of the corpus luteum, so maybe that is why people are suggesting estrogen, but then they increase due to FSH levels? But as you have put it, it's gotta be progesterone.

That was an excellent explanation, thank you so much!

Medicine in Poland, anybody?

Nah - I'm doin biomedical sciences in the UK :P

Medicine in Poland, anybody?

no, in Hungary :P But we love Poland in Hungary! :D

Hah Hungary is so cool! I love the food there haha seriously.

You guys are more than welcome here :)!

• Like 1